The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Progressive Suspension
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
fasmnkyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baffles or lollipops?

I'm building pipes for my 82 Ironhead and I'm not sure whether to install 8in baffles or make lollipops. I actually don't want it to be too loud. Will lollipops quiet it down as much as baffles? Can anyone tell me the noise level difference between the two methods?
Old 29th May 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Lollipops are for strippers. And they wont do anything to make it quieter, they are just a band aid for a system designed to go full throttle, max rpm all the time. There is a reason they are called DRAG pipes and not STREET pipes. Oh and welcome to the forum.
Old 29th May 2011

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

If your building them yourself, how bout something like this? Low noise and GREAT street performance.
Old 29th May 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
fasmnkyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I like strippers. But not noisy strippers. So I guess the lollipops are out. Nice job on the pipes. This is my first try at making them my self though, so I'm going with a little simpler design.
Old 29th May 2011

Lol, yea loud strippers are a PIA. Those are my first try also, good luck with it, it is very satisfying to know you did them yourself.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th May 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Lolipops IMX work very well. They do virtually nothing to the sound and do help significantly with the low end torque.

I am using them in Cycle Shack slash cut slip-ons in place of the original baffles.
Old 30th May 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
ratt2y is on a distinguished roadratt2y is on a distinguished road

Iron Mick is right here.shitt and git but with loud.its what ever you want