The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
hdbabe49 (65), gene405 (58), hongkong076 (44), whispanic (34)
Motor Stage
Speedway Instruments
BIKE BUILDER
Fix My Hog

Energy One Clutches
Tags
foot pegs, forward control, sportster mid controls

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
theukerofoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2001 Hugger MID CONTROL question

OK.....I've searched around and haven't seen anything specific on this....so I'm gonna ask.

On my 2001 Hugger.....I want to add a shorty peg to the brake side mid-control mount...not going to Mid's....I just want a little spot to change footing to on longer cruises. So I got that all figured out....BUT

The large allen head bolt that has to be removed to install what would be a peg mount....HOW THE CRAP DO I GET THAT OUT????
(fingers off the keyboard...YES...I do have a manual....and YES I have explored this...but everything is for installing forwards...and there are no pics or anything that mentions or shows the nut on the back side of that bolt, which is inside the rear cover. ) Before I tear further into this and try to get the cover off....Is that nut supposed to be captured by something (the casting) holding it in place so it doesn't spin? Or are you supposed to have to take the cover off and get a socket or special tool on it to get at it???

I loosened the cover and moved it out some but couldn't get a socket to get on it (it's recessed into a counterbore, and I couldn't (blind) get a socket in there that would hold it).

Just wondering if someone can confirm this....or was this cankered up by a previous owner and not the way it's "supposed" to be...
Thanks in advance!
The Uker of OZ
Old 5th June 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883->1250/ Hammer
Sportster/Buell Year: '94
opaka lips has disabled reputation

On mine there is a nut holding that post. you have to remove the sprocket cover. The nut is not captured by the casting. Cheers.
Old 6th June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
theukerofoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks for the reply!

OK...that makes me feel a little better....at least now I know.

It didn't seem right to me that you would have to remove the sprocket cover....so I was worried that maybe what ever was holding the nut in place had stripped out or something.

I played around with it a little....seemed like the rear pipe was in the way??? That exhaust stud for the front stock muffler is pretty long and it wasn't seeming to be giving me enough room....I'll have to play a little more I guess!

Thanks for the help!

Todd
"The Uker of OZ"