The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Bison Motorsports
Biltwell
Biltwell

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
JBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud ofJBGoode has much to be proud of
Default Metallic Primary Oil

Well, today I decided to play doctor to my primary because I kept noticing that sound I was describing in an earlier thread, so I drained some primary fluid into a small saucer and saw very small what I presume to be tiny aluminum flakes, I'm thinking maybe the chain is so loose its scraping the casing a bit and it's coming off, so what should I get done here? You can also tell there's motor oil coming into the primary casing as well, so when I tear the cover off I'm going to have to close the transfer valve. If anyone can post a picture and details how to do so they'd be much appreciated and what should I look for? do? ect....

also how to tighten the chain in there would be helpful info, I'm about to get a manual here in the next week, shipping n such, but would like to get some input on whats going on
Old 5th June 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about78ironhead has a spectacular aura about

Try this, drill and and tap the valve for a 6-32 screw and Loctite the screw into the hole. Engine oil stays in the engine and trans oil stays in the trans.

http://www.ironheadcycle.com/pages/howto4.htm
Old 6th June 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

If your chain is properly adjusted, it probally wont hit the cover. But I do know a guy who insitsts on downshifting at high revs, that puts ALOT of slack on the TOP of the chain. Even adjusted right, his cover right above the engine sprocket is chewed to hell.
Old 6th June 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Some one posted a page from the manual recently on primary chain adjusting.
Search with the Google search at the BOTTOM of the page should find it.

Look too at the tensioner and see if the metal is coming from the chain wearing through the nylon pad.