The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Lickscycles
DK Customs
Get Lowered
Figure Machine

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1982, need a pic or two for reference clutch cable routing

1982, replacing parts in the chain case, clutch, etc. The manuals I have are old scan copies so it's hard to see the black and white photos. It shows that there is supposed to be a clip/clamp on 1982 models that appears to be coming off the rocker area instead of the downtubes. I need a photo of this clamp pn#38623-68 (-68T) as mounted on the bike so I know exactly where/how it goes. I also need a pic of how the cable is routed up top from the perch down to the above mentioned clamp so I know how to route it properly. Thanks much
Old 6th June 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Here's a pic of my '83 - I'm pretty sure it's the same. As for cable routing, it really depends on the bars you have. Most had the cable crossing over the bar and going straight down behind it through the bracket you're asking about.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 6th June 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I tried using a bracket similar to that on my 1980 and on my 1978. I found that it restricted the cable too much. IMX it is best to have the cable routed thru the path with the least resistance/interference/whatever.

And keep the cable well lubed!

Last edited by IronMick; 6th June 2011 at 03:45.. Reason: sp
Old 6th June 2011
Biker

dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot and see what works best.
Old 6th June 2011

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant futureMosey has a brilliant future

My '82 doesn't have that type of bracket...

In fact, the cable ran wild and free! I hope you can see in this pic that it is just sitting out there in the breeze. Since the factory cable is very heavy duty, it doesn't flop around at all.

The only thing holding it in place is the left fork tube.
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th June 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough1979XLH is a jewel in the rough

i let mine hang free.. i tried to tuck it but it restricted it to much.
Old 6th June 2011

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979XLH View Post
i let mine hang free.. i tried to tuck it but it restricted it to much.
Yeah, that's why I said the routing really depends on the bars you have. I put a short cable on mine and routed it beside the headlight and through the stock bracket - it doesn't bind, works fine, looks clean, and is out of the way.

Old 6th June 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
Yeah, that's why I said the routing really depends on the bars you have. I put a short cable on mine and routed it beside the headlight and through the stock bracket - it doesn't bind, works fine, looks clean, and is out of the way.

I used the same routing on my 82 xls with stock buckhorn bars . Nikki
Old 7th June 2011
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of lightmikethebike61 is a glorious beacon of light

Over and behind the handle-bar next to the neck and down through the factory frame guide to the primary. Simple, keeps cable tucked in away from 'stuff'.
Old 7th June 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

The problem i found on both my bikes with running the clutch cable thru anything is when you turn the bars all the way in one direction or the other. The cable can easily get wrecked. So it is out in the open for mine. No problems there as the cable is stiff enough.
Know Thy Hog