The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
Biltwell
Burly
DK Customs

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2011
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp
gypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enough
Default Timing woes

My 79 is driving me nuts trying to time it. when I first got the thing, Timing was WAY OFF ,and I have one nagging concern,Timing this thing with a light seems impossible.I bought one of the nifty clear plastic plugs,painted the slash mark with yellow paint marker,the dot, double dot are all visible.I just cant see the marks when its running with a light.ANY LIGHT! Ive tried three different lights and cant see anything, I even tried the rubber hose trick.So im stuck with Shadowdog's static method(no offense,works good).any Ideas? I know a 79 had electronic ign. stock does this mean anything as far as it using points now? I also know the PO never had the bottom end apart,and the flywheel looks stock.
Old 7th June 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsybiker45 View Post
My 79 is driving me nuts trying to time it. when I first got the thing, Timing was WAY OFF ,and I have one nagging concern,Timing this thing with a light seems impossible.I bought one of the nifty clear plastic plugs,painted the slash mark with yellow paint marker,the dot, double dot are all visible.I just cant see the marks when its running with a light.ANY LIGHT! Ive tried three different lights and cant see anything, I even tried the rubber hose trick.So im stuck with Shadowdog's static method(no offense,works good).any Ideas? I know a 79 had electronic ign. stock does this mean anything as far as it using points now? I also know the PO never had the bottom end apart,and the flywheel looks stock.
All I can suggest is to keep trying.
The mark is very hard to see, and the reason is that the light is right where your eye needs to be to see the line clearly.

If you try it long enough and move your head around a bit keeping as close to the timing light as you can you will eventually see the faint outline of the slash mark. That is all you need to see........... Where it is sitting in the hole.
Centered is perfect, but anywhere in the hole will be close enough.
pg
Old 7th June 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

are you strobing it with the timing light while it's running at idle or did you run it to 2000 rpm to check it? what kind of timing light are you using - the kind with the adjusting dial on the back of the gun? 2000 or so rpm will make a difference in seeing the mark.
Old 7th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

I used a timing light/clear plug years ago on my new '77 XLCH and discovered it was a pain in the ass!! Shine the light, run around and adjust the breaker plate, shine the light, etc. All while the bike is dancing around at 2000 RPM in the garage!!

After acquiring my current Ironheads, I only static time them. So much easier and relaxing to do, much quieter as well!! Since I know my static timing is dead on, I then do on-road testing to see if I need to retard it at all. Some high load, top gear, uphill pulls will tell me if the timing is OK or I need to back it off a touch. Very easy to do in just a few minutes, then test again.

Even if you get the timing light to work for you, you'll still need to do some on-road testing to see if your engine likes it, especially with the lousy gas we're getting these days. I've pulled a little timing on both of my Ironheads to prevent high-load pinging and they run great!

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 7th June 2011
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp
gypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enough

Im doing it at 2k, Bike runs good static timed, Im just one of those anal M****ers that like everything perfect and worry when it isnt!
Know Thy Hog