The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
Bison Motorsports
Figure Machine
Get Lowered
Figure Machine

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1980 IH Sportster XLH
Macky1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2" drag pipes with baffles

I put the krome werks baffles in my 1 3/4 drag pipes the other day and dont know if i like the way they sound....anyone out there running 2" drag pipes with baffles? Better flow with 2" pipes?
Old 10th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Two inch pipes will run much worse. Stay with the 1 3/4" pipes.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 10th June 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200Low
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki ZZR1200
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
patrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nice

the smaller pipes will run much better. Only drag pipes I have seen run good were a set of 1 5/8" pipes I had on my 86 1100. Haven't seen any since. All I can find are 1 3/4
Old 10th June 2011
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of light

I've used the krome werks stuff and the sound is not very deep. the only way top get the deeper sound is to use a "resonance chamber" aka larger diameter muffler with limited baffling......

the cheap 4 inch baffles from JP sound good if you drill them through and cut them down a little...they thump a little but sound pretty good....if you do not drill them through they tend to fart
Old 10th June 2011
Flat Track Racer

What exhaust system puts out the best performance?
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Chopped Shovel
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
sunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud of

I ran 2" for the looks, then picked up a set of cheap baffles. I cut the reduced section off the baffles, essentially leaving just the "cup" that would fit into the 2" pipes. I installed the cups approximately 3" up the tail of the drags. From that point, my restricted opening was about 7/8". I used a step bit (large) from there to slowly keep opening my center hole until I found the proper balance to run the pipes. The final size of the hole I had when I found optimum was 1 9/16". It took two sets of baffles to run this experiment, cutting them down to just restrictors. The first set was sacrificial, as I just kept opening them up 1/16" at a time and running them, until my performance got as good as it could get, followed by the slow decline as the hole became oversized for the exhaust flow. The second set I cut to the 1 9/16" unrestricted opening (where I found the best running condition). And ya, if you just run 2" drags with nothing, it will run like crap and sound like big wet farts in a wet paper bag. This is on a 91 1200 with S&S Super G, primarily stock motor. I had no running problems after this modification (over 50,000k since done), smooth, crisp power at all ranges. Your motor is different, so the same mod may not work, but the same principle may get you to a balance that works. For the record, I chose the 2" drags for the look, even 1 3/4" just looked too spindly for the look of the bike, then just did the guts to suit.
Old 10th June 2011
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of light

Macky, I should have said that I use the cheapo baffles to tune my drag pipes....a local drag bike builder showed me how he tuned exhausts for Harleys and in most cases, the optimum performance for drags is about 21 inches from the head port for the location of the lollipop or baffle.....

Someone had posted some dyno runs with various pipes.....I thought they all came out near the same....but I am old so who knows....
Old 10th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

sunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky1986 View Post
What exhaust system puts out the best performance?
A good quality 2-into-1 will give you the best performance. I just don't like the looks. There are others here who can suggest a good sytem for you.
Old 10th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergerburger View Post
Macky, I should have said that I use the cheapo baffles to tune my drag pipes....a local drag bike builder showed me how he tuned exhausts for Harleys and in most cases, the optimum performance for drags is about 21 inches from the head port for the location of the lollipop or baffle.....

Someone had posted some dyno runs with various pipes.....I thought they all came out near the same....but I am old so who knows....
+1 on that. I found in this particular mod that I did, at about 26" is where it worked for how I was set up.
Old 10th June 2011
Flat Track Racer

Looking at either these,
http://www.cycle-shack.com/cycle/ago...HD-112SD&xm=on

or ill just stay with the drag pipes, straight cuts or slash cut?? opinions?
Know Thy Hog