The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors
DK Customs

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2004
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
benford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nice
Default lubeing control cables

How do you you lubricate the clutch cable and throttle cables?
Ben in Texas
XL1200C '03
Old 30th December 2004
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Buckshot is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't done the throttle cables yet, and I haven't done the clutch cable yet myself either...BUT my friend has shot some WD-40 down the clutch though. Don't really know what I think about that either.
Old 30th December 2004
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH (ironhead)
Sportster/Buell Year: '77
Other Motorcycle Model: Sold it!!
dabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura about

They make this thingy that clamps on your cable end and accepts the extension tube of wd-40 or a similar lube. It forces the spray down the cable housing. I have put the tube of a spray lube against the opening of the housing, next to the cable and wrapped good electrical tape around the arrangement tightly and most of the lube goes down the housing. Try this; get a foot or so of clear vinyl tubing, large enough to fit over the cable end. Slide it down about an inch over the housing, wrap with tape to make a good seal, place the other end into lube of your choice,(teflon based ''super lube'' is good) place the vinyl tube in yer mouth and suck! You can draw the stuff up the housing like soda thru a straw, and the CLEAR vinyl lets you see when to stop!
Old 30th December 2004
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
benford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nice

I thought about trying the squirt wd 40 down the clutch cable at the lever end ,probably try that,just wondered what other folks were doing.
Thanks
Old 30th December 2004
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

A light oil is a good choice. WD40 may be too light. If it is an old cable not well maintained as on an old 2nd hand bike i would use WD40 1st to clean the cable then a good light oil to lube it more permanently.

Those cable lubers cost only about $5.00. Any m-cycle shop should have them. They work on some cables, not on all. Depends on the style of cable end.

Whatever technique you use, even with a good cable luber, lots of oil will end up on the floor. Put down LOTS of newspaper.

While we are on the topic, remember that the mechanical speedo cable [if you have a mech speedo] will not be lube'd like this. It is to be removed from the caseing and greased.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th December 2004
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
AZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished road

I have one of the thingeys that clamps on the end of the cables and it doesn't work on the clutch cable. It might work on the throttle cables, haven't tried it yet on those.

WD40 is a water displacer and mild solvent with a tiny bit of lube in it. I would not recommend using it to lubricate the clutch or throttle cables. A specific cable lube or 3 in 1 oil would work much better. I lube my clutch cable each time I change my primary fluid (every 5k miles).

With the cable end loose, I just spray the lube down the inside of the cable housing and work the cable back and forth. So far, the bike has 36.5k miles on her and the clutch cable looks fine.
Old 30th December 2004
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH (ironhead)
Sportster/Buell Year: '77
Other Motorcycle Model: Sold it!!
dabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura about

It's also good to know when to cry uncle! If you're trying to free-up old, stiff, kinked cables, it's usually better to just replace the things. They are one of the cheaper things to replace on the bike, and the feel of brand new cables is like,...well...new socks! Alot of times the cables on a used bike aren't routed like they oughta be. On a bike that's gotten new bars,the previous owner may not have changed the length accordingly and merely re-routed them, causing them to bind.
Old 31st December 2004
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

you can try cutting the corner outa a ziploc bag slip it over the cable and tape or ziptye it on then put a bit of oil in the bag and then work the cable back and forth a while
thank god for darwin
Old 1st January 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH -(Hugger)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL (STD)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
bigdogbark has disabled reputation

I use super lube and the needle fits down into the cable tube. Just watch the throttle little cable holders. They are very small and can easily get lost when/if you take the cables off the throttle.

As a side note a picture is worth a thousand words but a video is much better. Do a web search or check on Ebay for a video that will show you how to do the maintenance. I picked up a CD off EBAY ($20) and I knew how to do it but I still found a few new short cuts. Also get the manual for HD.
Old 21st January 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: Elecectra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
Chuck is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=flathead45]you can try cutting the corner outa a ziploc bag slip it over the cable and tape or ziptye it on then put a bit of oil in the bag and then work the cable back and forth a while[/QUO

Hey flathead, that avatar has got to go.