The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Fix My Hog
883 Sportster
Biltwell

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
marknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enough
Default Crane ignition

WHAT are the advantages to changing over to programmable ignition like crane . I have a 1996 1200c with screaming eagle coil, s&s super e carb, vance & hines straight shots . Will it increase power or give a noticeable feel n performance? Thanks
Old 12th June 2011
The crazy one...

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

It's programmable or "tunable". Easier to tune ignition for optimal performance.

It is now "later" than it has ever been!
Old 12th June 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 92
Other Motorcycle Model: RZ350KLR650GT750KZ1000C10
mach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the rough

Well there is no horsepower to be gained in a "hotter' ignition; as long as the cylinder is ignited, does not matter if it is ignited with a match or a blow torch.

And more timming is not more power. The very efficent high compression evo sportster chamber will make the same horsepower from 22 to 28 degrees (although it is lazy comming up on the rpms)

The only reason I run a crane ignition on my dyno winning sportster is to raise the rpm limit

Ok I said my piece, flame on. (next subject how much HP from roller rockers)
Old 12th June 2011
Biker

marknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enoughmarknett will become famous soon enough

I have a screaming eagle ignition controller that is stamped 8000 rpm's . So I quess i dont need to upgrade to the crane?
Old 13th June 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Kudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the rough

Uh that's not even close to true. If you light the cylinder with a hotter spark you can more efficiency light more product for more efficiency. If you make compression high enough you need to add in another plug for an hotter extended spark.

Timing can make a significant amount of power difference. I have seen just timing bring motors from 75hp to well over 100hp with just the advancement of timing. Its extremely important that you light that fuel off so it has enough time to completely burn while shoving that piston down with as much force as possible. To early and your just canceling out power. Proper timing with a VOES advance can make a significant difference in power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1charlie View Post
Well there is no horsepower to be gained in a "hotter' ignition; as long as the cylinder is ignited, does not matter if it is ignited with a match or a blow torch.

And more timming is not more power. The very efficent high compression evo sportster chamber will make the same horsepower from 22 to 28 degrees (although it is lazy comming up on the rpms)

The only reason I run a crane ignition on my dyno winning sportster is to raise the rpm limit

Ok I said my piece, flame on. (next subject how much HP from roller rockers)
1987 Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 conversion 1250. Python 3 exhaust, S&S super E Carb, Ported and polished heads, Ported intake manifold, ev3 Cams, Dunlop 401 F, Dunlop K591 Rear, Dual disc front brakes, Progressive front springs, Rear 401 springs/shocks.
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th June 2011
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 92
Other Motorcycle Model: RZ350KLR650GT750KZ1000C10
mach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the roughmach1charlie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudofo View Post
Uh that's not even close to true. If you light the cylinder with a hotter spark you can more efficiency light more product for more efficiency. If you make compression high enough you need to add in another plug for an hotter extended spark.

Its your story, tell it how ever you like.

I bet 2 plug heads and multi eletrode plugs would really make hp!

Timing can make a significant amount of power difference. I have seen just timing bring motors from 75hp to well over 100hp with just the advancement of timing. Its extremely important that you light that fuel off so it has enough time to completely burn while shoving that piston down with as much force as possible. To early and your just canceling out power. Proper timing with a VOES advance can make a significant difference in power.
Wow 25% increase in hp from a timming adjustment, I just will not comment.

A vacum operated electrical switch makes more power ? is that why harley put it there?

On a serious note, timming is an adjustment for chamber efficiency, the more efficient your chamber the less timming you need.

And the timming "curve" has nothing to do with horsepower, its all in by 3000RPM

Flame on.
Old 13th June 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: 650 Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
xHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nicexHDrider is just really nice

I think the crane ignition was very worth while. I'm running the HI 4E. running single fire with an super coil. my top end feels a lot stronger. it pulls to the limiter, before it was lazy a thousand RPM's before it hit it.

also the multi-spark works well for me, makes the response better at the lower RPMs and runs better and starts easier when cold.

I felt a big difference between 5 and 7 on the advance curve. I think it helped a lot power wise, over my stock duel fire. (was using a 1200-J module, which felt better then the stock 883 module)
883 / 1200 conversion, shrink ported high velocity heads, milled .020 off the compression side. stainless steel tulip conversion valves. 10:1 wiseco forged pistons. "W" cams, Crane HI-4E ignition module, forcewinder AC. mustang seat, Progressive springs, RK-shocks, fork brace. metzeler me880 tires, headlight modulator. PIAA intense white H4 bulb
Old 13th June 2011
Been to Montana

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant future

I'm running the TC88A in mine and the timing curve map I got from Rico (Triple Deuce Map) gives my bike much more power than the stock ignition. I'm running near 35 degrees advance and it pulls like a train.
Old 14th June 2011
Biker

I'm sorry , that screaming eagle ignition module has 6800 rpm's on it not 8000