The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Superbrace
NHRS Performance
Bison Motorsports
Figure Machine

DK Customs
Tags
damper rods, fork mods, intiminators, ricor

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: CBR replica minibike
Nitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Drilled damper rod holes and Intiminators

I'm gonna be swapping out my damper rods on my Iron for the longer 9" ones from Roadsters and Customs. Before I do the swap I'm thinking it might be a good idea to drill out the damper holes a little bigger.

I know that Ricor says it's not required but since the Intiminator controls the oil flow larger holes should allow for a greater range of flow for the Intiminators.

Is it worthwhile? Anyone tried it?
Old 17th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: model 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
EL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Circus View Post
I'm gonna be swapping out my damper rods on my Iron for the longer 9" ones from Roadsters and Customs. Before I do the swap I'm thinking it might be a good idea to drill out the damper holes a little bigger.

I know that Ricor says it's not required but since the Intiminator controls the oil flow larger holes should allow for a greater range of flow for the Intiminators.

I asked Ricor the same question via email..nada...that makes me 0 for 2 getting replies from them. it's not like I'm a dead beat tire kicker..spent three hundred with em already and trying to get some shocks...all I get is the robo email answer..shrug..
Old 18th June 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Quote:

I drilled the compression holes in the damper rods of my 2006 Roadster when I put in Race Tech Emulators, long before Ricor Intiminators became available. The Emulators caused over damping, so I kept softening them up until I figured they were not doing anything, so I took them out completely. I also tried 20w, 15w, 10w, and 5w fork oil with the compression holes drilled. !0w was the best and rode that way for a few years before Ricor Intiminators came out.

Normally, Ricor says drilling out the compression holes is not necessary because they do recommend 5w oil. However, since you have them apart already, you might as well drill them out. Be sure to de-bur the inside of the tube. The advantage is you can then increase oil viscosity one weight to increase rebound damping without causing excessive compression damping due to smaller compression holes.

The whole idea of Ricor Intiminators, and cheap forks in general, is to minimize compression damping yet provide just enough rebound damping.

Quote:
I asked Ricor the same question via email..nada...that makes me 0 for 2 getting replies from them. it's not like I'm a dead beat tire kicker..spent three hundred with em already and trying to get some shocks...all I get is the robo email answer..shrug..
Small company staying busy keeping up with orders for their products. I haven't talked to them in a long while, but I'll call Brian on Monday and see what's up.

What's your question? Maybe I can answer it.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.

Last edited by XLXR; 18th June 2011 at 03:43..
Old 18th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

EL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post

Small company staying busy keeping up with orders for their products. I haven't talked to them in a long while, but I'll call Brian on Monday and see what's up.

What's your question? Maybe I can answer it.
The first question I asked via an email was the same as the original posters..about drilling out the holes of the damper....maybe they figure they have it covered with their FAQ...but obviously they didn't for Nitro or me..

My second email
I ordered some shocks for my sporty from Ricor.
I sent an email to give additional input about the bike . I thought it might help to get proper springing on the shocks and save us both some grief.

....The bike is a 48 so its a solo bike....I have no intention of carrying a passenger..I have other bikes for that...I thought this might be useful .....no response....shrug
Old 18th June 2011

XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Quote:
The first question I asked via an email was the same as the original posters..about drilling out the holes of the damper....maybe they figure they have it covered with their FAQ...but obviously they didn't for Nitro or me..
Was my answer adequate?

If you pm me your contact info, weight, bike, and which "tune" and length you want, I'll try to bring it to Brian's attention. But sometimes it takes me a few days to get in contact with him because I can't use phones at work.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Was my answer adequate?

John
My first thought is the intiminators with the 5wt fork oil is marketed as a "Drop In " kit ..
no need to disassemble the forks in other words..that's a smart move on RICOR's part...some would be put off at the thought of having to take apart their forks...why loose that market to say..the gold emmulators..

but what about knuckleheads like me that don't mind taking the fork apart or are doing so with other modifications in mind..

My second thought is a question ...is the 5 wt fork oil to light if you drill the damper rods ?...this is the question I like answered by RICOR.
Thanks for your interest and assistance

Last edited by EL in NH; 18th June 2011 at 19:27.. Reason: I can't type
Old 18th June 2011

Quote:
but what about knuckleheads like me that don't mind taking the fork apart or are doing so with other modifications in mind..
The was a 2 year time frame between drilling my Roadster damper rod compression holes and installing Intiminators. So I cannot say with 100% confidence if you feel any difference with the holes drilled or not with Intimintors. Most people don't bother. But you can if you want to and it is easy to do if you have to take the forks apart to replace seals or longer damper rods.

I tried 10w Amsoil with Intiminators and my drilled out compression holes. I liked the 5w better.

Keep in mind, the shorter forks have larger compression holes than those on longer forks. But I have not compared all the different damper rods Harley makes now.

If you don't have any other reason to take the forks apart, it is easy enough to just pull the springs out, change the oil, install Intiminators and test ride. Then decide if you want to drill the compression holes.

Quote:
.is the 5 wt fork oil to light if you drill the damper rods ?
The Intiminators take over control of compression damping. If the compression holes are big enough to not cause any restriction, drilling them bigger will not have any additional effect.

Switching to 5w oil also reduces rebound damping, which is part of Ricor's design in tuning Sporster forks to allow them to react as quickly as possible.

IF, and I am saying IF, you find you want to increase rebound damping, the only way to do that is to increase oil viscosity or weld up a rebound hole. With the compression holes drilled out, there is less chance they will have any restriction IF you want to try a heavier viscosity fluid to increase rebound damping. Most people don't bother.

Definitely stay with Amsoil 5w oil with Intiminators as a starting point. The viscosity ratings of suspension fluids are not nearly as consistent as engine oils. Synthetics just work better. Set your forks up like they recommend, then test ride and decide what to do.
Old 19th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks for the detailed answer....that clears it up ....and yes the 48's damper holes are huge compared to the 883R/custom rods I just installed...thanks again
Old 20th June 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: CBR replica minibike
Nitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of lightNitro Circus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
However, since you have them apart already, you might as well drill them out. Be sure to de-bur the inside of the tube. The advantage is you can then increase oil viscosity one weight to increase rebound damping without causing excessive compression damping due to smaller compression holes.
Thanks XLXR. As you said, the shorter damper rods have larger compression holes than those on longer damper rods. I'm still unsure if the compression holes on the longer ones are big enough to not cause restriction, but as I'll be rebuilding the forks (still waiting on parts) I may as well drill 'em out.
Old 22nd June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Vegas_Brian will become famous soon enoughVegas_Brian will become famous soon enoughVegas_Brian will become famous soon enoughVegas_Brian will become famous soon enoughVegas_Brian will become famous soon enoughVegas_Brian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL in NH View Post

Hi Ernie,

I believe I got back to you today. I'm not sure if I'm getting all you e-mails. I did get the one about your 48 info regarding your shocks. I updated your order but I don't believe I ever replied telling you so. Sorry about that.

As far as drilling out your damper rods. If you really want to do it go ahead, you don't need to but if you did it will not effect the compression response as that is not the limiting orfice. Do NOT drill out the upper rebound hole.

Thanks,

Brian

888-425-1333 ext 1 (forwards to my cell when I'm out of the office)
brian@ricorshocks.com
Know Thy Hog