The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
DK Customs
Bison Motorsports
Superbrace
Fix My Hog

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th June 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Pigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enough
Default Using car shocks on a bike?

I am wanting to replace my shocks with some air suspension shocks but don't want to pay the 200-300 for a pair of shocks when I can theoretically go to the autoparts store and get them for a quarter of the price. Any ideas?
Old 20th June 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
vlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to all

theorectically yeah, but you got to remember the rate for a car chock is 3000lbs or better a bike only weights about 500lbs it would stiff as a hardtail even with hardly any air in them
I would suggest ebay or a swap meet for some to save you some money or shell out the money for new
Old 20th June 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

Seems to me guys used to use boat trailer shocks to lower the rear end you could check and see if they may have anything your looking for.It maybe cheaper but you'd have to know what would work.
Old 20th June 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

look on ebay there are tons of threads about using road king/ bagger air shocks. i got mine including shipping for under 40 bucks
Old 20th June 2011
XLF Enforcer.

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
ElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to allElectricCityIron is a name known to all

Where are you gunna find a car shock that short?

Old 21st June 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
wlkilmer has disabled reputation

Some do run car tires. So car shocks?
Old 21st June 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/foru....php?t=1159261

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 21st June 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1992
Other Motorcycle Model: Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
einheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really niceeinheit 13 is just really nice

If you use car/truck shocks..whats gonna give you spring rate?? Whats gonna hold up the frame/fender off the tire?? You need coil overs, and they are no cheaper by any means to shocks for a bike. Air shocks for autos will work fine, when full of air...but what happens when they blow out?? You end up with a wrecked bike! Its part of a suspension system, not as the system!
Old 21st June 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (SOLD)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi Griso
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
Epyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to allEpyx is a name known to all

Is this a serious question or were you just wondering "why not?" I agree with others, the best low cost option is Ebay StreetGlide air shocks.
Old 21st June 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
If you use car/truck shocks..whats gonna give you spring rate?? Whats gonna hold up the frame/fender off the tire?? You need coil overs, and they are no cheaper by any means to shocks for a bike.
Bingo -

Most car "shocks" (not coil over struts) are JUST shock absorbers. They are designed for installation on suspensions where a separate (control arm or live axle mounted) coil or leaf springs provide the support for the suspension.

But motorcycle "shocks" are not normally JUST shocks - they are the shocks AND the springs combined. Meaning they don't just supply the compression and rebound dampening but they support the suspension.
Know Thy Hog