The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Biltwell
Superbrace.com
Energy One Clutches

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2004
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: VRSCR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Speedy818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tank Expansion or Horizontal Stretch

I've got a 2004 XL1200R that I've swapped the tank out on for the Custom version. I love having the extra range and I like the "bulkiness" of the tank - in that it gives my knees something to hold onto. But what I don't like is that fact that it's not a Sporty tank, in the proper sense of the term (yes, I know years from now it will be, but it's not what I want).

What I was thinking of doing was having my old tank sliced in half (lengthwise), and having a strip welded in, somewhere between 1" and 3" in width. Not having the tank in front of me, I dont' have the exact measurements, but I figure that about 1.5" should be enough to give me an extra gallon of fuel and a little more "beef" without losing that sporty look.

Now that I've said that - is this going to cost me an arm and a leg? I'm going to be re-painting anyways, so I'd just need someone to weld in that piece and seal the tank. I would do all of the prep work and painting. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? maybe instead of cutting down the middle, I would have them make two cuts, so that the gas cap and channel remain intact and just fill in 1/2 of the difference on either side.

Any thoughts?

Speedy
Old 30th December 2004
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

shop around for a "good" painter in your area. they will know

I , myself havent done it yet , but I have helped . it can be a real pain in the A to get everything to line back up

just a thought but have you given thought to using fatbob tanks ?(I know its not sporty stuff but if its on a sporty then its sporty , right?)
thank god for darwin
Old 30th December 2004
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: VRSCR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Speedy818 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fat Bobs have crossed my mind. As you said, not really the look I'm going for. The Custom tank that's on there now is rather "Fat Bob-ish", just flatter.

So I should look for a "Good" Painter? Or would a body shop know more about this?

Thanks for your reply
Speedy
Old 30th December 2004
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

well painters and bodyshops work hand in hand they normaly have a little brotherhood thing going , body shops have their own painters but if they need something more exotic than their guys can do they will farm it out , and most painters can do body work
Old 1st January 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
gp9739 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you went down the center of the tank length wise, you'd get very little increase in capacity since all you'd be doing is widening the tunnel. If you go outboard of the tunnel on both sides, you're widening a compound curve area and it's very difficult ($$). Most automotive body shops wouldn't be able to do the widening. About all they do now is remove and replace panels. On newer cars most of the panels, such as door skins are glued on. Very few of them have people talented enough to do custom work.

Your best bet would be to go to a custom bike shop. They're still talented. They widen tanks, fenders, etc routinely.

Post what you come up with. I think it's a great idea.
Know Thy Hog