The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Ironworks Magazine
Superbrace.com
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 92 sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 92
Sportster/Buell Model #2: my other ride has tits
921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about
Default does this sound about right for break in procedures on rebuilt motor

im having a shop rebuild my motor and when its all done and im sure theyll tell me but does this sound about right for break in procedures for a rebuilt motor with 883/1200 bore and rebuild bottom end

should i run non synthetic oil til about 3500?
should i change my oil at 100km then 300km then 1000km
should i keep the motor under 3500rpms i dont have a tach so at hwy speed do i roll on throttle and roll off never keeping a steady rpm and of course never over reving or lugging the motor and should i give it some juice every now and again like get her hot and then slower down a little will this help with rigs setting thanks for any input
Old 28th June 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Motorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura about

Try this

dry build the motor use no oil clean clean clean BUT make sure the bottom end is lubed and oil system is charged to work

but top end is dry dry dry

start the motor and run to 3000 rpm for 1 minute, STOP go away for at least 8 hours

Next time ride the motor 10 miles not over 5000rpm like you stole it, come back and drain it change the oil next time 50 miles next time all the time like you stole it 500mi change oil, then regular 3 to 5 k oil changes at 1500mi you can decide if you want syn oil after 3000rpm you can explore 5000rpm and up

I did mine like this for my top end and so far 20,000mi and its good
Old 28th June 2011
Master Mechanic

921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about921200hd has a spectacular aura about

im also doing the bottom end aswell
Old 28th June 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 Deluxe - sold now
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWGi
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 921200hd View Post
1. should i run non synthetic oil til about 3500?
2. should i change my oil at 100km then 300km then 1000km
3. should i keep the motor under 3500rpms i dont have a tach so at hwy speed

4. do i roll on throttle and roll off never keeping a steady rpm and of course never over reving or lugging the motor and should i give it some juice every now and again like get her hot and then slower down a little will this help with rigs setting thanks for any input
1. BS, run whatever oil you like - thats formulated for Harley V-Twins. We get extra trace elements - memory here - zinc and magnesium? I forget. The Amsoil is good, Harley oil good, Mobil 1 VTwin is good, etc. Dino or synth, your choice.

2. Used to miles here, but first 800km, change. Then every 4000km

3. First 100km, not over 3000rpm, never use 5th (or 4th) gear. Thereafter, you can rev to 3,500rpm, use varied speeds, avoid high gear. After 800km, its broken in.

4. After 100km, you can roll on throttle, not exceed 3500rpm, roll off, dont ride at steady speeds.

~~~~

After I redid the top on my 94, I found breaking in was a real joy. Now with 3000+ miles on the top... I know it was worth it.
Old 28th June 2011
Master Mechanic

why not use 4 and 5th gear
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th June 2011
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead52 View Post
Try this

dry build the motor use no oil clean clean clean BUT make sure the bottom end is lubed and oil system is charged to work

but top end is dry dry dry

start the motor and run to 3000 rpm for 1 minute, STOP go away for at least 8 hours

Next time ride the motor 10 miles not over 5000rpm like you stole it, come back and drain it change the oil next time 50 miles next time all the time like you stole it 500mi change oil, then regular 3 to 5 k oil changes at 1500mi you can decide if you want syn oil after 3000rpm you can explore 5000rpm and up

I did mine like this for my top end and so far 20,000mi and its good

rut roh... here we go again.... (looking for popcorn smiley but no joy)
Old 28th June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
lockdoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Lugging creates excessive heat. So stay out of 4th, 5th gear. At least 5th. The prime purpose of a break in is to seat the piston rings. Highest compression is achieved during acceleration AND deceleration hence do not stay at a steady RPM. This high compression forces the rings to expand against the cylinder walls and "seats" them. The lugging and over revving cause excessive heat which could glaze the cylinder walls which will hamper the mating process. A bad break in can cause excessive oil consumption and less power due to lower compression.
Old 28th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Well if it was me I wouldn't go on a forum and take guidance from a bunch of shade tree mechanics. You never really know what kind of info your going to get unless you know the people your getting the info from. I'd get my info from the experts. Follow your mechanics guidance.

Take a look at this: http://www.nrhsperformance.com/NrhsInstructionSheet.pdf paying particular attention to paragraphs 10 and 11. Because you have also re-built the bottom end things might be a little different.

First and foremost listen to your mechanic! He's the one that is guarantee'ing the work. If you don't follow his guidance he probably won't guarantee shit. I know I wouldn't if I were him.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 30th June 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Kudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the roughKudofo is a jewel in the rough

Any time we (Father and I) were responsible for a motor rebuild we would pull the plugs and run the starter for 5-6 seconds at a time and let it sit for 2-3 minutes for the starter to cool down (we usually would leave it attached to a battery charger) So we could prime the motor with oil.

Once we got some sort of oil pressure going we would slap the plugs back in and take it out on the freeway and flux the rpm from 2500-5k and you take it out for a few miles and then we would take it back home and change the oil. Then we would repeat taking it out and running it up and down through the gears on the freeway getting those rings to seat.

I wouldn't suggest using synthetic oil. We tried it once in a little Toyota 4 banger (4age for those interested) and we could never get the rings to seat. It would always burn oil. We change the oil to cheap dino oil and we got them to seat after that.

I would suggest buying some Moly or Zinc additive to put into the oil during break in. If you prime your oil system before hand you will have a little extra zinc or moly in the motor to help prevent scaring if there is any metal on metal contact. It wont eliminate it completely as there is always a tiny bit of dirt where your working, but it will help.

Other than that. I have no idea why people get so fancy or crazy with their engine break ins. Dont let it idle to long because you will just build up oil glass on the cylinder walls and wont get your rings to seat. Dont take it out for a nice steady long drive or you wont get your rings to seat. Remember a few heat cycles is just as important and cycling your rpms from high to low. Do it gradually. No Wide Open throttle pulls until after your 2nd-3rd heat cycle. You CAN feel the rings seat regularless of what people say, it wont be a sudden snap but it will just feel stronger.

Heat cycle means you get the motor up to operating temperature and you let it completely cool again. Some day over night, some day 24 hours, some say pull a rabbit out of a hat.
1987 Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 conversion 1250. Python 3 exhaust, S&S super E Carb, Ported and polished heads, Ported intake manifold, ev3 Cams, Dunlop 401 F, Dunlop K591 Rear, Dual disc front brakes, Progressive front springs, Rear 401 springs/shocks.
Old 30th June 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 xl sportster custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 low sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Bob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to all

well when i do race car moters, i first fire them up and run her up to 2500-3000rpm for 15 or 20 min, let her cool out. while its running very the throttle a little on the very first shut down junk that oil. put in a new bach and take her out and drive the piss out of it if you going on a good long trip very the shit out of the throttle and bring it up to top rpm a few times, if you dog it every were it will be under powered ,and you can break a engin in top gear just dont let it lug right down, to pervent ring chatter and if i were you break it in on rottel t 15-40 deasle oil lotts of zink in it have fun .
Know Thy Hog