The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Burly
NHRS Performance
Biltwell

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
mclaggan123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exhaust help

I have a 2003 1200 custom and its my first bike. It came with a k&n air filter and vance & hines straight shots with slash tips. the previous owner didnt rejet so i took care of that. The pipes are scratched up a little and my bike doesnt seem to have the power my wifes 2000 1200 has with hers having SE2 slip ons. What would you fine folks say is the best exhaust for performance? I would like more get up and go. It seems like a dog. I had the jets professionally installed and the carb tuned. Any help will be appreciated. Also if you dont mind post some pics of the exhaust you reccomend. Thanks very much.
Old 28th June 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
tat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of lighttat2cj is a glorious beacon of light

the V&H short shots are the worst performance exhaust out there or so i've read on here. if you want more get up and go most will tell you get a good 2n1.. hope this helps
Old 28th June 2011
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
SuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to all

Thunderheader, but I'm biased

What type of ac do you have? What are you currenlty jetted at if I may ask?
Old 28th June 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Don Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant future

I see that you have Vance & Hines Straight Shots and not Short Shots as the poster mistakenly referred to in post #2 above. I can tell you that Straight Shots do leave some lower and midrange power on the table even over stock mufflers. I run Gronk Modded mufflers but if you want louder, Cycle Shacks are supposed to be the best bang for the buck. You don't need to spend the money on a 2:1 exhaust unless you want to.
Old 28th June 2011
Biker

I have STRAIGHT SHOTS and a K&N ac. Im not sure what its jetted to. I had chix cycles in virginia beach install the jets. It runs great but the power is lacking compared to the wifes 1200.
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th June 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

mclaggan123 have you tried to put it on a Dyno ? to see the real picture on how it's tuned ! that might help you dial it in Better !
Old 28th June 2011
Biker

the shop did dyno it and tune it right for my setup but i can tell the differance between mine and the wifes. she has the stock ac and se2 slipons and mine lags compaired to hers. it did improve alot with the rejet and tune. but i think a differant exhaust would make it even better. thanks again
Old 29th June 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Motorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura about

stock headers and slip on's Rock

Best bang for the buck....... I can pace a 90# woman on a 671 Triumph with my Weisco
1200 with Drag pipes cut stock like stock headers with Screaming Eagles Type 1 tapers

44 pilot 1.75 turns out
180 main
Nook needle
A.N.Big Sucker with a K&N filter and early 6" bell cover
Oil cooler, oil temp is around 210 on a 90 degree day