The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Figure Machine
DK Customs
Burly

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
trtinney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hardtail questions

I know a lot of people disagree with rigids, but I'll start off by saying, I'm only 21, so I can plead young and stupid. Now on to the question.

I have an 81 that I put a new front end on, its a wide-glide about 4 inches over stock, and I'm looking to get a rigid with some rake and stretch to deal with this. I built my brother a 77, which came with an already rigid frame that had around 2 inches of stretch and about 10 degree of rake, and he's running my stock narrow-glide, and needs stock rake and stretch to bring it in.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to hardtail my stock 81 frame and swap with his bike, but I'm not sure how to work out running the drum brake on his 77. I'm not sure if there is a way to weld on an older style drum hardtail kit on to my later model disc frame, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 30th June 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster rigid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
hasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura abouthasselme0 has a spectacular aura about

get in contact with Kansas Kustoms or Ledsleds they can hook you up. I ride a rigid and Im an old fart.
Old 30th June 2011
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH Kit Bike
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 60
scottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of light

I made my own. I'm an old fart too. (pretty old not tooo old)

I put a disk on the back to help with stopping, hide it under my bags. Easy upgrade.

you can see pics in this thread:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1144545
See No Evo, Hear No Evo, Speak No Evo, Ride No Evo
Old 2nd July 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
trtinney is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a lot of cash to throw around, but I'm not afraid of a little fabrication. And I would try and run a disc on the 77 but he's using factory mag wheels.
Old 2nd July 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

An 81 has the triangulated frame and is not going to have that "look" if hardtailed.

Old 2nd July 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c 1980 chopped frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Nightster GF's Bike
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
asasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to all

some companies make weld on hard tails specifically for the 79-81 frame. you have to pretty much cut the entire back half of the frame off to do one.
Why buy parts, when you can pick up some tools and make something way cooler?
Old 2nd July 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c 1980 chopped frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Nightster GF's Bike
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
asasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to allasasial is a name known to all

IF you are a decent welder/fabricator i don't see it being to hard to adapt a drum brake hardtail to fit an 81 frame.
but then again i've been know to do all kinda crazy s#!t, like shoving a 95 engine into a highly modified 80 frame with a rigid mounted swing arm, no struts or anything at the rear of the swingarm for support. .