The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
DK Customs
Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather
Lowbrow Customs

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx61
Sportster/Buell Year: 85
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha vstar 650 custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
mycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of light

i have an '05 and as the guys said the 1" axle makes swingarm mods more universal; the '04 swingarm is a one-year only piece. the engine is gray and the '06 engines are blacked out. but, it's your money and your choice. there are a few 1200r choices out there; you have to check ebay, craigslist or cycletrader.
good luck on your search and finding a good one.
Old 12th July 2011
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycle1000 View Post
i have an '05 and as the guys said the 1" axle makes swingarm mods more universal; the '04 swingarm is a one-year only piece. the engine is gray and the '06 engines are blacked out. but, it's your money and your choice. there are a few 1200r choices out there; you have to check ebay, craigslist or cycletrader.
good luck on your search and finding a good one.
So are the 1" Axles on the 05-up bikes only ?? Or Only the 05 R
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 12th July 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx61
Sportster/Buell Year: 85
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha vstar 650 custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
mycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of lightmycle1000 is a glorious beacon of light

the axle change was for all models, not just the r models.
Old 12th July 2011
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Ok Thanks, I just couldnt remeber what mine were...LOL Mine is an 06C !!

Thanks For the Info !!

For the O.P. I have not heard of any year specific problems with the rubber mounts. I think the first generation (04's) Was thought to have more problems with the crank Position Sensor, But as I recall they were just overheating and failing. And the Moco changed the design or mounting or something !...
FYI: This is from an Old Memory that has taken a Lot Of Pain Medication......LOL
Old 12th July 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki DR 650
Other Motorcycle Year: 94
SportsterBart has disabled reputation
Question

Not trying to stir any shit, but am I the only one that seems to remember a problem with the valve seals on '04 or '05 models?

Old 20th July 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Gohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Starleak, it's got to be the 06's. 1" axles, Helical gears, still got a Carb and none of those silly gaitors.....

Class of 1969
Old 20th July 2011
"So this is what I am."

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883c<1212
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
chardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant future
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico 05R View Post
Get an 05. 1 inch axles, and the last of the straight cut gears.
dont forget the carb!
Amidst the mists and coldest frosts,
With stoutest wrists and loudest boasts,
He thrusts his fists against the posts,
And still insists he sees the ghosts.

Zombie Leg Humpers M.C.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/group.php?groupid=90
Old 20th July 2011
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's more important to find a bike that's not been abused and is reasonably priced. None of the differences between 04, 05 and 06 seem that grand to me.
Old 20th July 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Osco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really niceOsco is just really nice

EFI
Starts first time every time,
No choke,,no need.
More power hands down,
Faster throttle response at all RPM's
Carbs are for Lawn mowers :=)

2008 1200R Box Stock,,almost
X14ieD's only
Ain't met a stage one yet that had anything on me.
Old 20th July 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

I'm older than dirt and memory is one of the first things to go, wait what is this all about? Seriously, I seem to recall that some earlier rubbermounts also had issues with shifting forks. To the extent that the MoCo supplied replacement parts free and dealers scaled the labor costs back. Might have just ended short of an official recall. If you're looking at an early model with very low mileage it could be a problem, I would think that by now all "R's" would have enough miles on them to have gotten past this. F.W.I.W.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Know Thy Hog