The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Photos/Videos
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Photos/Videos Post all the cool photos and videos of your Sportster here...

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Motor Stage
Dead Creek Cycles
Biltwell
BIKE BUILDER

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200Low
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki ZZR1200
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
patrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nicepatrickd is just really nice

looking at those shell casings and how the brass tarnishes If I were to put them on I'd polish them and shoot them with some clear laquer so they would always be shiny.
Old 2nd January 2012
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I like the raw metal, whether kept polished, or allowed to gently oxidise. I wouldn't want to apply any sort of coating.
'The green machine'
Old 2nd January 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd View Post
looking at those shell casings and how the brass tarnishes If I were to put them on I'd polish them and shoot them with some clear laquer so they would always be shiny.
Just pollish it with NeverDull. If you were ever in the military, you know what I meen.
Old 3rd January 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
DaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond repute

I do and still they will tarnish after a while. I got to clean my brass soon. 000 steel wool then some neverdul. I think there is a specially spray for brass that acts like a lacquer.

Air shock information thread
Old 3rd January 2012
Land Speed Record

Location: mostley at home sometimes in the garage next to my sporty..
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883..
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XJ 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
chief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of light

i had plenty of brass parts.
headbolt covers, various acorn nuts all over the bike, ign switch plate ign. cover fuel cap etc etc..
but nowadays there are to much HD's with brass dodats on them, so i'd took it all off, and started a new brass free built.
some details of how it was:

CTFS
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd January 2012
Zombies devour Patriots

Sportster/Buell Model: sportsterR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2105
Other Motorcycle Model: 82 1000sz katana
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Love brass.....it's too bad no one can do a burn out.....
Old 3rd January 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaSportster View Post
I do and still they will tarnish after a while. I got to clean my brass soon. 000 steel wool then some neverdul. I think there is a specially spray for brass that acts like a lacquer.
What I was getting at was that if you were ever in the military you know that you have to constantly polish the brass. It is a huge sin to laquer the brass. When we got a new belt buckle it came with laquer and then the absolute first thing you have to do is polish it off. Never ending cycle. When you are on night watch you polish brass all night!
Old 3rd January 2012
Land Speed Record

Location: mostley at home sometimes in the garage next to my sporty..
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883..
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XJ 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
chief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of light
Default wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireeman View Post
Love brass.....it's too bad no one can do a burn out.....

brass burnout!
Old 7th January 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
Skull is just really niceSkull is just really niceSkull is just really niceSkull is just really niceSkull is just really niceSkull is just really niceSkull is just really niceSkull is just really niceSkull is just really niceSkull is just really niceSkull is just really nice

Here's a couple of pieces on the bike I am working on now...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 9th January 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Forty Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
cpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud ofcpracing519 has much to be proud of

Powder coated "brilliant brass" the wire meshing on my RSD filter. Pictures don't do it justice though, I think it turned out pretty cool!

Know Thy Hog