The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
CV Performance
CV Performance

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Gohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the roughGohot is a jewel in the rough
Default Carrying a Cane on your bike

I have arthritis in my hips, fortunatly my left is not too bad at all, but I can't say the same for the right. I have an 06 Sportster with a couple mods to consider, drag pipes and a side tail light. I was thinking of the left side as somewhere that I could carry a cane, partially using the license plate holder to put the handgrip side, but that leaves the ground side to try to come up with some kind of ...???... P clamp or some such arrangement that it could be secured in. Ideally a clamp of some sort that accomadated the round 3/4" shaft of the cane and something fashioned like a P clamp except for the closure securing shut with a wing-nut... On the Roadstar Silverado I used to have, it was simple, just put the shaft through the buckles on the saddlebags and it just so happened it fit real well and sort of locked into place with no chance of working loose and coming off. But I fear that coming up with something on the Sporty will be a little more challenging. I'll be working on this now until I come up with something, and will post pictures of anything I can find to work. Suggestions will be highly welcome............Rich.
www.coolcanes.ca

So far, I found this, but I bet it could be done cheaper

Home > Our Accessories> Cool Canes Motorcycle Cane Mount
Cool Canes Motorcycle Cane Mount

Includes high quality aluminum tube, safety strap, 2 fork clamps, installation wrench and full instructions

click the above image to enlarge

Motorcycle Cane Mount

Finally! A classy, functional mount for your motorcycle that safely and conveniently holds your cane while you are riding. As a complete kit, this cane mount comes with the front fork clamps, an aluminum powder coated tube with safety strap, allan wrench and full instructions. This patented mount blends well with your motorcycle, is durable and attractive, is easily accessible from the seated position and is a snap to install.

What size do you need? You can email us with your make and model and size of front forks and we’ll ensure you have the correct size.

How do you measure your front forks? Use a piece of non-sticky tape like painter’s tape and wrap it around the front fork of your motorcycle, ending at the start point. Remove the tape and measure the length. 4 3/8” equals a 35 mil fork. 4 7/8” equals a 39 mil fork. 5 1/8” equals a 41 mil fork.

Or Call us at 1-866-21-canes or email info@coolcanes.ca and we'll help you select the correct mount for your motorcycle.

*Please note the Cool Canes Motorcycle Mount will not fit a motorcycle with full fairing or Nacelle style headlights.

$169.00

Class of 1969

Last edited by Gohot; 19th July 2011 at 12:48..
Old 19th July 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: White Hot Denim XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
KevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud of

You could use a pvc tube that is a little wider than your cane and fabricate a bracket for it. A fender strut would be a nice place to mount the tube.
That way, all you need to do is slide the cane in the tube and ride.
Old 19th July 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute

I met a rider in TN who used a telescopic cane

I'm still on the cane, but with the car , not an issue
Old 19th July 2011
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 48cc moped-donor bike TBD
Other Motorcycle Year: 14?
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking that something like an old gun scabbard would be cool. Fork mounted. (Maybe not as big as this, but you get the idea.)

Old 19th July 2011

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute

You could carry a cane, a set of golf clubs and a pool cue in that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm thinking that something like an old gun scabbard would be cool. Fork mounted. (Maybe not as big as this, but you get the idea.)

Know Thy Hog

Old 19th July 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
snake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nicesnake oil is just really nice

I made my own
Old 19th July 2011

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

I had forgot about this section of the forum. I am glad I'm not alone in needing a cane. The neuropathy has gotten ban enough that my feet are numb even as they hurt like hell. And I Fall Down A LOT !....
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 23rd July 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R again!
Doc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake oil View Post
I made my own
I have the exact same cane! Most comfortable handle I found. Not to the point of needing it all the time but if I get there I like your solution very much, looks like the pr-24 baton mounts.
Old 23rd July 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
philidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nice

I don't like using a cane, but I like falling less. I fell a week ago and I am still paying for it. I've been looking for a holster, but I am using my telescopic cane and putting it in my backpack when I ride the scoot. In the car I carry my hand carved hickory cane I got off ebay.

You have to be smarter than the material object that you are dealing with.
Old 23rd July 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
wysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to beholdwysper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
You could use a pvc tube that is a little wider than your cane and fabricate a bracket for it. A fender strut would be a nice place to mount the tube.
That way, all you need to do is slide the cane in the tube and ride.
I used to do this when I was taking my martial arts weapons to training.
I was on a DR650 then. I used a pvc tube with notches cut in the bottom that sat on the passenger foot peg. The notches located it, the peg stopped anything falling out the bottom. I used bungee cords to attach the pipe to the peg and again higher up on the grab rails.

Not a permanent solution so it probably wont suit your situation. I needed mine to be quickly and easily removed.

That cane holder looks pretty good though, the one on the site. Plus their canes look awesome too! Not cheap however. Bet there are many on this site looking at those canes and going... I could fabricate one of those up!
Know Thy Hog