The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Foxcreek Leather
Motor Stage
Licks Holiday
Biltwell

Licks Cycles
Tags
2006, 883, mileage, price, sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dustin.the.park is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How many miles are on your bike? And how do they affect the value?

I recently bought a 2006 Sportster 883 and it has 40k miles on it. The bike looks immaculate and was really well taken care of. I'm wondering how much the mileage affects the value, and how many miles can you get out of a Sportster generally if it's well taken care of. From your experience, what do you think?
Old 21st July 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTC - Finally!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
langner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the roughlangner91 is a jewel in the rough

Tough question.

Kelly Blue Book "expects" only 17,600 miles on a 2006 883. However, they also say:
Quote:
Because of variances in riding styles and road conditions, it is impossible for us to determine accurate dollar values for mileage.
I think the overall condition and "look" has more to do with value.

And, if properly maintained, you can get hundreds of thousands of miles out of that Sporty.

Enjoy it!
Old 21st July 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

I'm much more concerned with the condition of the bike than I am with mileage. I'm more concerned when I find a bike with very few miles on it. These bikes need to be ridden. A properly maintained modern Sportster can get 100,000 miles before the top end needs work. Probably twice that for the bottom end.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 21st July 2011
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
SuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin.the.park View Post
I recently bought a 2006 Sportster 883 and it has 40k miles on it. The bike looks immaculate and was really well taken care of. I'm wondering how much the mileage affects the value, and how many miles can you get out of a Sportster generally if it's well taken care of. From your experience, what do you think?
My bike is coming up on the big four zero real soon too (98 XLH) To a casual buyer the mielage matters as far as price goes. For me running condition and performance mods if any matter most then comes looks as I'll probably end up change it anyway. Hard to ask for what your bike is worth with the clock reading as high as ours.
Old 21st July 2011
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin.the.park View Post
Good, it's almost broken in then!

My 05 has over 40k, and to me that adds to the value that I put on it. But I'm not about to ever sell it. I value it for seat time. If we are going to discard things for being old and worn out, then my days are very limited.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Know Thy Hog

Old 21st July 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sporster custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
munchroehm is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont worry about the milage a long as the bike is well cared for. The bikes with low miles just arnt ridden and thats bad for em to. My 2005 has 19,000 and I ride it like I stle it!!! Ride baby ride.
Old 21st July 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200xl
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 mustang 302hipo
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: sporty in pieces
risotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the rough

Check eBay, by the time it's 5 years with 20,000 miles ur looking at 2g for a 1200 less for an 883. They don't hold there value
Old 21st July 2011
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotteria View Post
Check eBay, by the time it's 5 years with 20,000 miles ur looking at 2g for a 1200 less for an 883. They don't hold there value

Don't let Flea-bay dictate what your motorcycle maybe or may not be worth..alot of people are on hard times and giving shit away right now, those with cash will benefit the most..I'm always looking for a good deal cash in hand..
Old 21st July 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
philidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nicephilidor1958 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchroehm View Post
I dont worry about the milage a long as the bike is well cared for. The bikes with low miles just arnt ridden and thats bad for em to. My 2005 has 19,000 and I ride it like I stle it!!! Ride baby ride.
Do people ride their bikes or look at them? I have 20K on mine and haven't ridden much lately because of a couple of falls. I hope to have 25K to 30K by the end of summer if my hip doesn't come out of socket.

You have to be smarter than the material object that you are dealing with.
Old 21st July 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud of

"How many miles are on your bike? And how do they affect the value? "
I have 39k on my 05 and I really don't care about it's value. My bike is part of me and that all I'll use now until the snow flies. I take care of it and in turn it takes care of me.
Just enjoy it.