The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors
Energy One Clutches

Foxcreek Leather
Tags
disability, one foot

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2011
Drunk garage monkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200l
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
onebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant futureonebrkbstrd has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikdwmn View Post
Injury is my grandfather, he has ridden his whole life. He is 69 years old, has three motorcycles, lives to ride, and I don't know how to help him. He asked me yesterday to help him sell one of his favorite bikes. I just can't do it. Not yet....I want to explore my options. Thanks for all the replies..great advice..
Have a safe weekend.
I plan on riding myself into the grave. My dad's not too much younger than your grandfather and intends to do exactly the same thing.

Exactly why do the Docs say your grandfather can't ride? If it's just because he's catching some years, he should tell them to eff off. If it's some kind of age related injury,, there's probably a way around it,, but without knowing for sure,, tough to say.

2007 XL1200L - I had my mods listed here, but keep changing things. It's kinda cool though.
Old 31st July 2011
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 02 SV gone but not forgot
ozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikdwmn View Post
Dr. says weight of bike will reinjur, no more riding. Any suggestions?
As some of the other guys suggested converting his Sporty to a trike is an option. Or if you have the cash buy a trike. I'm 60 and about half crippled myself. I'm thinking about building a trike for when the time comes that I can't safely ride my Sporty. ( Hopefully a long time from now

Another option might be a Honda 750 the new ones are basically a Sportster knock off. The seat height seems to be a little lower. They seem to be lighter. A lot more thin plastic and thinner steel. Sadly they cost the same.

For what it's worth, I've never found a doctor in favor of riding a motorcycle.

Ozark
Old 31st July 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Loner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud of

trike or sidecar seems the obvious.
There is a thread somewhere here that has a link to a website that is all about converting and adapting bike for bikers with challenges.
I always remember the saying from the movie Heartbreak Ridge
"Improvise" "Adapt" "Overcome"

There is a reason people are called challenged not disabled.

I saw a rider who rides an old pan, with a hook on his left hand, he has a foot clutch and a tank shift.
Old 31st July 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

First off, would need to know what type of injury we are talking about. Most Doc's have no idea about motorcycles. I'd, first of all, get a second opinion.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 31st July 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

What does weight of the bike have to do with anything? Especially since he is such an experienced rider, good balance is more important than ability to support weight.

The only thing I can think of is a leg, hip, or back injury which the doctor is afraid off. Perhaps a hand or wrist injury which prevents him from using the control levers. In that case, lots of other things may cause re-injury in addition to riding a motorcycle.

Get big crash bars front and rear, so if the bike starts to fall over, he can just let it go over rather than trying to hold it up.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Know Thy Hog

Old 31st July 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Cobalt has a spectacular aura aboutCobalt has a spectacular aura aboutCobalt has a spectacular aura aboutCobalt has a spectacular aura aboutCobalt has a spectacular aura aboutCobalt has a spectacular aura aboutCobalt has a spectacular aura aboutCobalt has a spectacular aura aboutCobalt has a spectacular aura aboutCobalt has a spectacular aura about

I'd go with a trike kit. Or, how 'bout a motorcycle that can be thrown around, like a Buell Blast? Very low seat height, too.
Old 31st July 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
trike or sidecar seems the obvious.
There is a thread somewhere here that has a link to a website that is all about converting and adapting bike for bikers with challenges.
There are quite a few posts about The NABD and I happen to be a member and representative for them.

I can maybe help/advise if you have any questions.
Old 31st July 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: triumph bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
frenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of light

need to know what he rides now and what his limits are
There are many satisfying bikes that are smallerand lighter out there.
I would go sidecar if i was in that situation.
Are urals available in the states?,they are great with that 3rd driven wheel
Old 31st July 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: triumph bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
frenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of light

i believe the light artillery is not an option available to the general public but you could check with your local dealer.
Old 31st July 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XL Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Gold Wing/Suzuki DR650
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
wikdwmn is an unknown quantity at this point

My Grandfather is a solid 297 lbs. He ain't no dinky thing!! We have a Honda Valkeri F6, it is a solid, heavy bike. A Kawasaki Ninja and A Suzuki , A Sportster 1200 xl nightster, and he drives a old toyota pickup that is ready for pick and pull.
I appreciate all advice and suggestions. Have a great weekend, be safe....

Last edited by wikdwmn; 31st July 2011 at 10:52.. Reason: spelling
Know Thy Hog