The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
Nightrider, jim wiseman (63), gone2dalake (61), bobzimm (58), JMan (47), csaintg (45), tinydawg (43), B.Curvin (43), eskiv (34), 05bluesportster (33), joka646 (30)
Sky Smith Insurance
Hammer Performance
Zippers Performance
Don's Cyclewear

Hammer Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
DaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really nice
Default Shoulder pain

I just bought my 883 1200 conversion it is basically stocked. Over the years I've had 4 shoulder surgery's. I am wondering if anyone has had this experience with shoulder pain from riding and will the changing of the handle bars , bringing them up and maybe a little forward take some of the pressure off? I know this may be a little out there for most of you but guys with shoulder problems may know what I'm talking about.

Thanks Dave
Old 4th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
drifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the rough

I have torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders. Right one had surgery, (which made it worse), and left one is well beyond surgical repair. With low bars I could not ride for more than about 30-45 minutes without extremee pain. I have a '92 Sportster now with the Hugger bars (some call them buckhorns I think) and can ride all day with no problems. It is a matter of arm position. You need to find something that doesn't put any pressure or strain on your shoulder. On my last bike I tried 4 different bars but nothing worked. I sold it (was wanting to sell it anyway) and bought the XLH and it was perfect. I changed seats a while back and rotated the bars forward in the risers, but that made it very painful, so I put them back in line with the fork tubes and it is great again.

Dave
Old 4th August 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
bobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura aboutbobpilot has a spectacular aura about

Dave, seems I've got the same problem with my shoulders as you! Except reversed. Left had surgery, successful though, and right is now killing me and no insurance now! Thats what 30 yrs. of sheetrocking and carpentry will do to your body. Hope you find a solution, I only had problems with my wrists and fingers going numb, never the shoulders. I think drifter Dave is right, the proper bars may help you. Good luck, ride safe and often! Bob
'07 XL1200R Stage 1 with Arlen Ness Big Sucker and and Wyatt Gatling slash down mufflers, H-D ECU download and SERF. Progressive springs with 7 wt.oil and 13.5" Progressive shocks with heavy duty springs, and V-Twin fork brace.
Old 4th August 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

http://www.harley-davidson.com/pna/p...ar_measure.jsp

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 4th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
DaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really niceDaveHawk is just really nice

Since I am new to motorcycles is there a better set of Bars then others. Brand name exc.
Thanks
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
drifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the roughdrifter02 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHawk View Post
Since I am new to motorcycles is there a better set of Bars then others. Brand name exc.
Thanks
For me, the stock Sportster Hugger bars worked best.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92xl.jpg (142.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 26th August 2011
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1212c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883 (TOTALLED)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
jumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of light

I started having pain in my left shoulder last summer while riding. Fought it throught the winter. Then in March I bought a used set of HD 10" mini apes. They were amazing. Quite having pain in my shoulder. Then I switched to a set of 14"s, also great but only had then on the bike for 2 weeks before I hit a deer doing 65 down the highway and totaled the bike. So I can't say if the 14"s were better than the 10"s or not. But I can say that the factory bars on my new '06 883 Custom suck because the pain has returned.
Old 26th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Best bet is to ride other bikes with the different bar set ups and see which one works best for you. I would think drags or tracker style would be worse than the pullbacks. Good luck.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 26th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

I've also got some shoulder problems, along with lots of others. Both Mini Apes and Wide Glide Bars worked for me. But, I think any of the bars that allow you to sit up fairly straight will work. I found, at least for me, that leaning my weight back works, leaning it forward doesn't. Go to the dealership and try sitting on a number of different bikes. I think you'll be able to tell what works for you and what doesn't.

When buying bars I wouldn't go with the super cheap ones. Often times they are not knurled and won't have the holes drilled for internal wires. But, other than that they're pretty much the same unless you go with the larger diameter (1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch) bars.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
58mm Inverted Wide Glide Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Six Piston Jaybrake Calipers
16" Carlini Apes
Old 26th August 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Model: GL1800
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Durockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant futureDurockrolly has a brilliant future

I've had both shoulders reconstructed. Four surgeries on my right and one on the left. I have enough hardware in both shoulders to build a clean ass bobber. I've found out that drag bars work best for me. I still experience some pain but it is tolerable. Now with my Goldwing I can, and do, ride up to 600 miles without any pain.