The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
Superbrace.com

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 xl
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 fxstsb
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
ac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation G"day nube LINY advice 72 non runner

Hello new guy here member other h/d forums and some want formal intro"s didnt see one here but here in LINY gotta jammer rigid shovel and fxstsb,, ok that said have had 4 sportys in the past 30yrs and always enjoyed them recently picked up a paughco early frame, had wheels and wideglide layin around so im matching them up ..question is ,,there is a 72 kick-electric sportster with title 4-sale in my area for 1000 bucks ,its been in shed for a few yrs and oxidation, all over... opinions please is this a good year, heard some better than others re 79-80 what should I look for on this potential purchase ? Im thinking I can part it out and recover most of my money if its a bust, never liked buying non running anything, Ps im no mechanic but have some mechanical skills
Old 7th August 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

'72-early '73 has the oddball head bolt pattern and can only be bored to .030 over stock. Otherwise pretty much the same engine parts '72 thru '76. Its a right side shifter. I've had a '72 for 34 years.
Old 7th August 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1981 IronHead
Other Motorcycle Model: 1975 Aermacchi/H-D SX 175
Stick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished roadStick_Man is on a distinguished road

Potential issues? For 1000 dollars in the NY area when runners go for 3x that; I would b expecting a straight up total rebuild. I hope you got time cuz you're going to need it.

Parts for '79 don't fit other years. I understand you can still get them but the advantage of not having that year is if you find cheap parts for other years they'll fit your cycle. I don't know about interchange between '72. i know the stock points will work up to '78 and readily available.
Old 7th August 2011
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
... Parts for '79 don't fit other years. ...
Different frame. Only a few parts are different. Check out this thread from the technical Stickys ...

what to look for when buying an ironhead
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=559987
Old 7th August 2011
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome from SoCal !
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th August 2011
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumphs
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
Campsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the rough

If you buy an ironhead get ready to obtain some mechanical skills... one thing I have notices is parts for the odd '72-early '73 yrs aren't as sought after as the yrs.. other than the heads and cylinders it is just like every other Ironhead out there... a money pit if you don't do the pittly stuff yourself.. working on the carb.. clutch...and starter are a pretty much a given if you don't want to go broke.. for a grand you might come out on top.. never buy a bike as an investment!!

JJ
Old 7th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, welcome from a swamp in Michigan, and I'm sure some of the Ironhead guru's here will be more than glad to help you out.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 7th August 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: hand built M/XL ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 9293
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1976 motor in a 1987 fram
Sportster/Buell Year #2: ????
Other Motorcycle Model: 1974 XL & 2003 FXD
Other Motorcycle Year: 7403
the cowboy way has disabled reputation
Default you will need

tools
manuals
mechanical skills

if the asking price is $1,000
U should be able to get it for $800 or less
machine shop @ home
Old 8th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 xl
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 fxstsb
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
ac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the roughac72rat is a jewel in the rough
Default 72 sportster

thanks to all for the help I appreciate all your input