The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered
Get Lowered

DK Customs
Tags
performance, reliability, screaming eagle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
goblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to all
Question 30K miles is pretty much it?

It's a reliability question to those who had experience with high performance engines. How long should I expect the engine last before next rebuild?

Here is where I am coming from. I installed SE performance heads and pistons on my Sporty when it was almost new, about 2K miles. So, now another 33K miles passed I noticed crank pressure lost in front cylinder. After almost 3 weeks at service and engine rebuild the bike is back on the road.
But this is what bothers me. When I was picking up the bike I did ask what went wrong and why do they think my cylinders went bad that quickly. What they told me was that 30K or less is about what I should expect from cylinders with forged pistons, since these kind of pistons wear cylinders off much faster.
I am not a touring/cruiser type of rider, I like street bikes that are fun to ride. Yet, I want my scoot to last more than 30K miles. Should I now consider rice burner? How do they get away with more powerful engines? or they also last for about 30K before next engine rebuild?
Old 12th August 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

stock motor with 30k and no issues yet. I have seen or heard people getting anywhere from 20k to 100k on their engines. sometimes wonder about the higher mileage, but then everyone has different luck. I'm hoping a few more years before a rebuild.

"If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Old Bubba of the Booze Junkies MC
Old 12th August 2011
"So this is what I am."

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883c<1212
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
chardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant future

Would like to hear dan@nrhs's thoughts on this. Seems low milage for failure.
Amidst the mists and coldest frosts,
With stoutest wrists and loudest boasts,
He thrusts his fists against the posts,
And still insists he sees the ghosts.

Zombie Leg Humpers M.C.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/group.php?groupid=90
Old 12th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Chopped Shovel
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
sunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud of

A friend has a 99 883 with over 128,000k on it, it has never been apart. My 91 1200 has well over 100,000k on it, and has only been apart once (replace crank end, primary sprocket loosened and wore splines beyond repair).

As a general rule only (yes, many exceptions apply), as soon as you start getting away from stock configuration, reliability goes down. But 30,000 does seem low mileage for failure.
Old 12th August 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
CBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I am not a touring/cruiser type of rider, I like street bikes that are fun to ride. Yet, I want my scoot to last more than 30K miles. Should I now consider rice burner? How do they get away with more powerful engines? or they also last for about 30K before next engine rebuild?
I don't know too much about longevity of forged pistons, but for performance it depends on how much you want. I have 80 hp/ 80 tq with my stage 1 sportster and 40K miles on it. I think you could do a 85/85 or 90/90 build with harley parts and cleaning up a few things and still keep the reliability.

A stock/stage 1 buell would give you more performance over a sportster and probably last longer as would an xr1200.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If it's 120+ hp, then you should get a high revving sport bike or a VRod.
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th August 2011
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
SuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to all

Subscribed...curious.

SOme are unlucky and suffer failures but most major issues are owner induced. At least that's what I've been able to gather from my little experience.
Old 12th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha SRX-6
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
Geekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant futureGeekster has a brilliant future

Subscribed, too. 30'000km on mine, running better than ever. I'm curious as where this thread is headed ľ did anyone mention the break-in voodoo yet?
Old 12th August 2011
Flat Track Racer

kowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura aboutkowboi has a spectacular aura about

60,000+ miles on my 1200 and it runs like a champ.
Old 12th August 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Fairlane 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
SuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to allSuperTed is a name known to all

30K doesn't sound right at all. I'm at 32K on the stock 1200 and she never misses a beat. I'd be interested to hear other's theories though...
- Oversized pic of my ride & lengthy list of upgrades
Old 12th August 2011
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

I've got 30k on my 05R, with cams, exhaust, Mikuni carb and a programmable ignition. Runs like a champ and uses no oil.