The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Hammer Performance
Get Lowered
Lickscycles
Motor Stage

Get Lowered
Tags
performance, reliability, screaming eagle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: S3T Thunderbolt
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Airbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant futureAirbozo has a brilliant future

60k on my 1200 now 1500, (89" stroker).

I have about 10k on it since the engine rebuild and no issues. I expect about 60k more, but I am an optimist and never dealt with this sort of HP engine (96hp, 101 torque) in a motorcycle before.
Old 13th August 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: cb 750 honda
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
boxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the rough

i got a 2004-1200r sporster taxs paid, heavey breather, se slip ons.i got 18k and sum change on the clock. i started to here a metal on metal sound only in 1st gear.starting out and gearing down.igo to the hd shop and they took me right in took off the side covers on the motor both sides,and we saw on the right side metal shaveing coming out were it should not be,got in to the trany and they tell me that 1st gear was not getting oil? what de.how can the outher 4 gears git oil and not 1st? the tects at the dealer all said they never herd or saw this on a sport,burl or how you spell it they saw but never on a sportster.i was given a phone no to call hd custemer service.i should have talked to the dog that i dont have anymore,i am not a cert mech or work for hd so no info on a bad part witch 4 indy told me thats what had to have happen. when i get dun with the bill i will post it and sit back and see who thinks what.i will not bad mouth the dealer they had my bike the last 4yrs doing the 5000 check up oil and the rest of it,i keep mt bike there in the winter.i will say this the drain plug on the trany i took out by hand! it was not lecken,and i was down 3 fours of a qourt of oil.they had sum changes at the dealer wit tects and service mang,i will look at all bolts before riding away.will this happen again after 15k or 18k i dont no,this i no it was not cheep to fix.1,736 bucks after i put 3,000 in chrome on it.so no turning back.i am 54 and on ssd so i only get so much a month,i took a hell of a hit on this,i hope it dont happen again,any body with advice or did it happen to you or a brother plese gimmy a yell,tanks
Old 13th August 2011
Turbo Mafia

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcardenny View Post
i got a 2004-1200r sporster taxs paid, heavey breather, se slip ons.i got 18k and sum change on the clock. i started to here a metal on metal sound only in 1st gear.starting out and gearing down.igo to the hd shop and they took me right in took off the side covers on the motor both sides,and we saw on the right side metal shaveing coming out were it should not be,got in to the trany and they tell me that 1st gear was not getting oil? what de.how can the outher 4 gears git oil and not 1st? the tects at the dealer all said they never herd or saw this on a sport,burl or how you spell it they saw but never on a sportster.i was given a phone no to call hd custemer service.i should have talked to the dog that i dont have anymore,i am not a cert mech or work for hd so no info on a bad part witch 4 indy told me thats what had to have happen. when i get dun with the bill i will post it and sit back and see who thinks what.i will not bad mouth the dealer they had my bike the last 4yrs doing the 5000 check up oil and the rest of it,i keep mt bike there in the winter.i will say this the drain plug on the trany i took out by hand! it was not lecken,and i was down 3 fours of a qourt of oil.they had sum changes at the dealer wit tects and service mang,i will look at all bolts before riding away.will this happen again after 15k or 18k i dont no,this i no it was not cheep to fix.1,736 bucks after i put 3,000 in chrome on it.so no turning back.i am 54 and on ssd so i only get so much a month,i took a hell of a hit on this,i hope it dont happen again,any body with advice or did it happen to you or a brother plese gimmy a yell,tanks
If the trans was down 3/4 of a quart, that's likely what caused your problems....it only holds a quart total, so you had pretty much no oil in there .

If they are the ones who serviced it, I would want to know where the oil went......
Old 13th August 2011
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Versys
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
if the trans was down 3/4 of a quart, that's likely what caused your problems....it only holds a quart total, so you had pretty much no oil in there .

If they are the ones who serviced it, i would want to know where the oil went......
+1
Old 13th August 2011
The crazy one...

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

I got 28K out of the stock engine. Tore it down after the bottom end failed. Upon inspection, there were multiple problems; exhaust valves burnt and pitted, piston carbon was extreme, valve stems and guides galled, cams excessively worn from bits of steel in oil.

Rebuilt with performance parts. No problems yet. Dan (NRHS) was extremely helpful!!

It is now "later" than it has ever been!
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th August 2011
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm soon headed for failure then, my bike has well over 30 k on it and it runs stronger than the day I bought it with stage 1 setup..

yet I have a bud with a 1994 1200 at last check he had over 85k on it and rides it everywhere on camping road trips up and down between virginia and GA..told me he's only replaced a few gaskets and the valve seals..
Old 14th August 2011
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant future

My cylinders @ 20,000 miles still had most of the crosshatching....and no scuffing. I ride this baby relatively brisk..........most of the time!

Stuff: YES
Old 14th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
goblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to all

I should probably start another whining thread about the stealers.

It's a long story but this is what happened.

Sometime ago I took my bike to dyno for tuning, it came back with pretty bad results. Somebody here on forum suggested to run crank pressure test, which I did. Front cylinder showed 150psi while the rear 180... Seemed like a problem right then. I added some oil into the cylinder and ran the test again. Pressure did not increase that much, thus it had got be a problem with the valves or so I thought.
I am not all that mechanical, so I took it to the dealer, where I pointed out the service guy on the problem and have them check where I am loosing the pressure.
Couple of days later they come back and tell me the cylinders are worn I have to replace them and pistons too. I said okay, only asked them to check out the valves anyway and run the crank pressure test once they finished. Almost three weeks go by (because they needed to order new parts and they took time) and they call me to come and pick it up.
So, I am there all excited that my problems are over, talked to the service guy and the mechanic who worked on that why would they think cylinders went bad only after 30K miles. They told me of forged pistons, that they wear off the pistons more quickly and it's not unusual what so ever. Okay, I thought, fair enough, it was my choice to put performance parts in it and I have to pay now. I also specifically asked what was they pressure now, the mechanic goes all that "well, i dont remember i wrote it down somewhere, but it's good now". I went ahead and asked what's the psi deviation now, the mechanic told me that it was about 5-6psi.
Okay, I was satisfied with the answered, paid almost $1500 bill and rode home. The bike did not feel any different from before, but I figured it was because I was still breaking it in and did not rev more than 3500rpm.
Tell you the truth I did not test the pressure same night. I rode it next day, breaking it in and the following night I finally decided to do the test.
Imagine how stunned I was when it again showed 150psi on the front and 180 on the rear.
All boiling on the inside I took the bike back to the dealer next morning, which was yesterday.
They took it back put it on the stand and ran the test with me present. So, they run the test on the front jag and it shows a little less than 150. The same mechanic starts explaining to me that 150 is very much what it should be. I said okay, now run the test on the rear. So, he did and it showed 200psi. This time the guy went all defensive, started telling that it was impossible result, that no bike can run with 200psi of crank pressure. Then he made a theory that may be the push rod extends as it's getting hot and keeps valves open, he also made some other theories not worth repeating. At the end he told me the had no clue what's going on or where the problem is, that he would need more time to look at it, which he does not have. And if I brought this bike later in autumn they would have more time to look deeper.
My issue with those guys is not that they made me pay for new parts and expensive work that did not fix the problem, I understand it was more of trial and error type of thing. What I am really pissed of about is that that mechanic was not straight with me, just plain dishonest. He did not run the test after finished the work and lied about it.
I understand some problems may be less obvious than others, mistakes happen too, but I am patient and ready to pay the bill, what I can stand is somebody lying in my face.

So, 30K lifetime for performance engine is just a pile of bull. The guy was just trying and find an excuse for his own incompetence.
I still have the old jags, anybody interested?
Old 14th August 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
CBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud of

Quote:
My issue with those guys is not that they made me pay for new parts and expensive work that did not fix the problem, I understand it was more of trial and error type of thing. What I am really pissed of about is that that mechanic was not straight with me, just plain dishonest. He did not run the test after finished the work and lied about it.
I understand some problems may be less obvious than others, mistakes happen too, but I am patient and ready to pay the bill, what I can stand is somebody lying in my face.
More of a trial and error thing is not an excuse. This is why you diagnose problems. He did not diagnose the problem and replaced parts that were good. You had to pay the bill and now he doesn't have time to look at your bike after all that. That is bullshit. He should be fixing the actual problem this time for free.
Old 14th August 2011
Been to Montana

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant future

30k is nothing! Now speedo problems....that's another story.