The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
RYCA Motors
Lowbrow Customs
Ironworks Magazine

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: i wish
Sportster/Buell Year: huh?
bp626indamix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default are they really that bad? (Iron ride quality)

Was doing a search on the iron 883. And i found this. Are they really that bad? Whats top speed on an iron 883 before the wobble?

Last edited by Folkie; 14th August 2011 at 16:37..
Old 14th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883 SOLD
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
lfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud oflfvc77 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp626indamix View Post
Was doing a search on the iron 883. And i found this-http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=143555
Are they really that bad? Whats top speed on an iron 883 before the wobble?
That´s the opinion of one person used to sport bikes, sure he won´t like it if he expected something similar at what he is used to.

Better try it yourself and make your own opinion.

If you asked me, then I tell you the low suspenssion is hard but a lot of people seem to love the look of it.

Sure is underpowered, is a 500lb bike with like 40hp, thing is do you need more?
Old 14th August 2011
"So this is what I am."

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883c<1212
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
chardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant future

easy enough to give it more hp, I have almost doubled my horse power @ 76hp. wobble is easy to fix as well, simple fork brace and new springs, do it fine.
Amidst the mists and coldest frosts,
With stoutest wrists and loudest boasts,
He thrusts his fists against the posts,
And still insists he sees the ghosts.

Zombie Leg Humpers M.C.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/group.php?groupid=90
Old 14th August 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
DG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to all

If the guy is used to riding an SV...then i am sure it was quite a different feeling for him.
I've never had a wobble on my 1200. It certainly doesn't have the precise, buttoned-down feel of a good sport bike...but going around corners like ape-shit, or smokin' 1/4 mile times isn't the reason to buy one of these things.

My .02 about the slammed suspension...
I have the custom. With progressive 412's it rides surprisingly well, but there is no way hell I'd go with any less travel. The "low" bikes look awesome, but the first thing I would do is jack the thing up to at least Custom specs ( preferably to R specs ) and get cool looks and a nice FUNCTIONAL machine.

Is the 883 underpowered? Compared to what...a GSXR1000RR? Yep...way underpowered...but then again, so is the 1200, and about 99.99% of the motorcycles out there. I stepped off a CBR1000RR, and when riding my 1200 in the manner which it was meant to be ridden, it rarely, if ever, feels underpowered in real world operation. I would imagine the 883 performs adequately in it's proper environment as well.

My first ride on the sporty was eye opening as well. It felt very....raw....rude...crude. These bikes are about the ride...not how you ride. About going out on a sunny day just to cruise around with no place to go, and in no hurry to get there. That sort of satisfaction doesn't take tons of power. If none of this sounds interesting, then i definitely suggest you try and get a ride on one before buying, because you may decide you want something else.
The water-logged OEM starter/system relay on 2007-2009 Sportsters is a OMRON G8H-UA-007401, but this can be crossed over to some automotive apps: Borg Warner R3154, Gp Sorenson 41-5154, Niehoff RL 35381 are examples. Good luck!
Old 14th August 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 iron
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
vlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to all

I have an 883 iron I have ran it up 90 and never experienced a wobble it has all the power I need. They are great Bikes, I love'em, I don't knock other people for what they ride its a shame that a few people gave everyone else a bad rap, its a cruiser its not a touring bike its not a crotch rocket either, try if you like it great if not keep looking till you find the kind of bike you like, I had a 550cc Yamaha Seca it has way more power than it
Different strokes for different folks
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th August 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 2001 883 Custom
Desertfox has disabled reputation
Cool

The speed limit most places is 60 mph. Most of these super duper sport bikes are ticket magnets. As for "wobble" I have no idea WTF he's talking about. Speed wobble has moreto do with rake and trail more than anything else. I'vehadmy 883 Custom conversion up to 100+ MPH with no problems. However the front end tendsto get very light at that speed.
Old 14th August 2011
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a wobble on my 883 either (at speeds much higher than he mentions). Never thought the front end felt light either.
'The green machine'
Old 14th August 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N Iron
Tattoo Tony has a spectacular aura aboutTattoo Tony has a spectacular aura aboutTattoo Tony has a spectacular aura aboutTattoo Tony has a spectacular aura aboutTattoo Tony has a spectacular aura aboutTattoo Tony has a spectacular aura aboutTattoo Tony has a spectacular aura aboutTattoo Tony has a spectacular aura aboutTattoo Tony has a spectacular aura about

I've had my iron running down the parkway at 75-80 mph and it felt smooth as silk. After a few mods to rider position the bike is very comfortable. Ride one and decide for yourself.
Old 14th August 2011
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

My 883 is fast and has upgraded suspension. When I bought this Sportster I knew the suspension would need to be changed by the time I arrived home.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 14th August 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: triumph bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
frenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of light

lol,
Anyone stepping off a jap bike is going to feel a Harley very different.
This is why my 883R felt so blinding after my ironhead and Triumph T140.
I will say that the newer evo sportsters seem to lack a little in the build quality of chassis/suspension parts but they are easily upgraded.
Its a shame that these bikes are so strangled by emission controls when they leave the show room too.
Once again an easy fix.
The great thing about our bikes is that they are an open canvas when we buy them and we have loads of options to make our ride speciel.
Jap bike owners will never get that owner in put.
Know Thy Hog