The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200 low
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
E65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the rough
Question Lower fork skins?

The lower part of my forks really look bad (94/1200) there is a lot of pitting and would take a heck of a lot of polishing to improve the original look. I'm looking at some Kuryakyn chrome fork skins and wonder if any of you have these on your sportster and could post a pic so I could really get a feel for what they'd look like. Judging from the catalog photo I'm afraid it would add a "bulky " look to them......thanks
Old 16th August 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 Deluxe - sold now
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWGi
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice

Chrome water collectors they've been called.

To polish out the lowers....

Break free each pinch bolt on the triple trees, then retighten just enough to be secure. Do that with the wheel on the ground, one bolt at a time. There are four for the fork tubes. Its a Torx head screw, and may require a bit of persuasion to get loose - which is why you wanna do that with the wheel on the ground.

Jack up bike, remove front wheel, remove one fork tube with lower attached to it.

Slide up the "dust cover" and remove it. Mask the part of the fork where the dust cover was, and continue to mask so the oil seal, retainer and fork tube are sealed.

Take off all the "Clear Coat" from the lower with paint stripper. This is why we mask it all.
This will take a little bit of doing, but dont sweat it for right now.... just work and scrape all the old finish off.

Once its stripped, wash the tube with hot soapy water and dry it. This removes all the old stripper.

Now start on the metal of the lower with 320 grit wet/dry paper with soapy water as a wetting agent. Sand "around" the tube not "along" the tube. Once the pits are cleaned up, use some 400 paper wet, then 800 paper wet, which will bring it to a high luster.

Finally, use Mother's Wheel Polish for Magnesium and Aluminum Wheels on the lowers. You do this with a rag, shoe shine fashion. Buff it out well.

Reinstall on the tree and do the other fork tube, then reinstall the wheel. Remember to torque the Torx head pinch bolts to the factory spec (read the service manual for that).

Once polished, you'll need to go over them with some Mother's from time to time, but they'll stay nice for a decent amount of time. Most initial "pitting" is the clear, or clear with pits in it that has gotten water under it. Once polished... its very easy to keep polished.
Old 16th August 2011
Lord of the Flies

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Grumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of light

My brother had them on his '89... They didn't look real nice, you could tell they were covers. He eventually bought a set of chromed lower legs and swapped them out. Polishing or chroming is your best bet....
'83 GL1100 Goldwing (cafe project)
My '86 XLH build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR DICK View Post
...like so many other things in life, bikes on the verge of self destruction thru modification are a blast.
Old 17th August 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Lone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to allLone Rider is a name known to all

Well if your doing a street tracker I would sell you these for $50

Old 17th August 2011
Biker

E65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the roughE65841 is a jewel in the rough
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Chef View Post
My brother had them on his '89... They didn't look real nice, you could tell they were covers. He eventually bought a set of chromed lower legs and swapped them out. Polishing or chroming is your best bet....
See, ya'll just saved me 200 bucks I woulda spent on crap. I had a feeling they just wouldn't cut it. I wil bite the bullet and polish them out..thanks
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL - Sold
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
sportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond repute

several threads here on the subject, lots of us have done it, including me.
and I didnt take the fron end apart, just the wheel & the fender.

Old 18th August 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

I don't use condoms, latex, black or chrome.

Your local power coater is your friend.

Before:

After:

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 19th August 2011
Biker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportymike02 View Post
several threads here on the subject, lots of us have done it, including me.
and I didnt take the fron end apart, just the wheel & the fender.

That is very impressive!
Old 19th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL - Sold
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
sportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond reputesportymike02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by E65841 View Post
That is very impressive!
thanks. it took about 8 hrs to do
Old 19th August 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 88
hmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to behold

I had the covers on mine for a couple of years. I changed the tire and got rid of my fender this year and didn't put them back on, I polished mine while the tire was off. They weren't bad looking and didn't look like something was just stuck there. If I had a laced wheel it probably would have looked like shite.
Know Thy Hog