The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
Ironworks Magazine
NHRS Performance
Lickscycles
Energy One Clutches

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2011
"So this is what I am."

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883c<1212
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
chardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant future
Default how do these plugs look?

Front cylinder:

;

Rear cylinder:

Just pulled these out, They look clean no build up that is, the rear is whiter than the front wich leads be to believe its a little lean. Am I correct?
Amidst the mists and coldest frosts,
With stoutest wrists and loudest boasts,
He thrusts his fists against the posts,
And still insists he sees the ghosts.

Zombie Leg Humpers M.C.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/group.php?groupid=90
Old 16th August 2011
Savant?

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

They look like plugs.

How many miles?
What type of riding/RPM range?

Overall; not bad. I've seen worse.
Old 16th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
rabes56 is on a distinguished roadrabes56 is on a distinguished roadrabes56 is on a distinguished roadrabes56 is on a distinguished road

Look OK to me. Rear cylinder runs a bit hotter so it is not unusual for it to look a bit leaner. I use a colortune plug and try to get the rear cylinder spot on which usually has the front slightly richer. Are you having running issues?
Old 16th August 2011
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

they loo good to me. not black, not white - just right.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 16th August 2011
"So this is what I am."

chardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant futurechardhin has a brilliant future

4,000 miles since conversion, riding in the 3200-3600rpm. I have some pinging under mid- heavy acceleration. Put in colder plugs, of that doesnt work I will change jets.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th August 2011
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardhin View Post
4,000 miles since conversion, riding in the 3200-3600rpm. I have some pinging under mid- heavy acceleration. Put in colder plugs, of that doesnt work I will change jets.
The pinging must be very slight, and you must be aware of it and keeping it from getting too bad by limiting how fast you feed the throttle, because there is zero evidence of detonation on that plug. Color is a bit dark down inside, but then this is not from a clean cut so I will say that it does not appear to be black, but rather a (as Rocketman likes to call it) Kingsman charcoal color. You can live with that, and if that color does not get very light gray down inside near the bottom you are good. Looking at this, you are possibly correct in going to the #8 plugs. Color is hard to determine on the computer, but it looks like a slight tan is developing on the porcelain, which would indicate a good heat range for the plug. You may still get away with running colder, and we will find that out now. Watch for pepper looking specs on the porcelain, that is detonation, and if they get bad, it's time to start rethinking everything.

Did you say what ignition you are running? I'm thinking if it's a TC88 that you may want to back it up a slight bit and possibly get back to standard #7 plugs. But lets see how the new plugs color up, and how it feels first.

How long were the plugs in? The picture is not too clear, so I have to ask, am I seeing the center electrode rounding off? If so, you need to change the plugs more often. I run the cheaper ones like you just got and trash them every 5000 miles. It's just not worth running bad plugs when they are so cheap. Again, can't see for sure, so this may mean nothing.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 16th August 2011
"So this is what I am."

About four thousand or so miles on these plugs. I am rummin the tc88a with Ricco big bore hooligan map. I will put a good 100 miles on these plugs and check em out. You are correct, I dont let it ping if I can help it.
Old 16th August 2011
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

On my Sporty the front cylinder has always
run a little leaner than the rear - just the opposite
of yours. I've run lots of different Maps and jets
and have never been able to completely eradicate
all the pinging especially when the outside temps
go up above 90 degrees.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Last edited by xena; 16th August 2011 at 23:45..
Old 16th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 S= Superior Model
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
shotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun46 has a reputation beyond repute

They look Normal to me ! Mine always look the same
Old 17th August 2011
"So this is what I am."

Quote:
Originally Posted by xena View Post
On my Sporty the front cylinder has always
run a little leaner than the rear - just the opposite
of yours. I've run lots of different Maps and jets
and have never been able to completely eradicate
all the pinging especially when the outside temps
go up above 90 degrees.
over 90 degrees is defenatly when it pings. I think I am just gonna take it easy in this kinda heat.
Know Thy Hog