The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
Burly
Get Lowered
Foxcreek Leather

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
browardcycleshop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sporty wont start, fuel / carb issue

Hey everyone. Just signed up. I am in a corner with this bike and need some insight.

I have a 2006 Sportster 883C that I purchased wrecked and I am in the final stages of fixing it up and re-selling it. I am having a little issues with getting it running. I checked the usual suspects, checked to see if it had spark, gas, fuel was on, etc. No dice. At first I took the air cleaner off to find the little jet that is visible on the inside of the carb right before the slide is not shooting fuel. So I went back to the petcock and found I had forgot to hook up the little vacuum line behind the petcock knob. Did that, got fuel to squirt out of the little nozzle that sits in front just in time for the battery to die from cranking it over so much. Hooked it up to my battery tender and tried it again today. No dice. I have the air cleaner off at this point with the carb exposed (not sure if that makes a difference). I have some carb cleaner that I sprayed into the carb to clean things up, tried to crank it over and the bike started up by spraying the carb cleaner in there. But once I stopped spraying the carb cleaner, it died again. Pulled the plugs and of course they are wet and smell like carb cleaner, lol. No hints there. So that is where I am at. I am suspect that the carb might need rebuilt but its an 06 and doesn't have but maybe 15,000 miles on it. But I am thinking that sitting for 4 months without running may have gummed something up inside the carb that is not making it operate properly for some reason?????

I purchased the bike July of this year from a tow yard and it had not ran since May of this year. So about 4 months of not running. The gas tank took the main hit in the accident (bike smacked into a palm tree), so I had to replace it, but re-used the petcock out of the old tank on the new tank. Not sure where my problem is. I checked the petcock again and it is giving fuel now, and the carb is getting the fuel. Ignition system is working fine, already tested that, all fuses are fine and in tact. I just changed the oil in it a day ago, new primary fluid, new spark plugs.... I am used to working on fuel injected Japanese sport bikes so I am not a huge expert on CV carbs, but I am always willing to learn. Any help would be much appreciated! I need to get this bike up and running so I can sell it.

Lucas
Broward Cycle Shop
Miami Florida
Old 18th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki M50
TLB2 is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like the main jet is clogged up in the carb. It may need to be cleaned or rebuilt.
Old 18th August 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Evil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of light

BTW welcome to the forum
Old 18th August 2011
Biker

Dont dealers charge about the same price to rebuild a carb as they do to clean them? Probly be easier to just have them rebuild it so I don't have it cleaned then find out it needed rebuilt?
Old 18th August 2011
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

check the pilot and idle mix circuit
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th August 2011
Biker

CV carbs are a little foreign to me, so I might take the carb off and have it rebuilt......????
Old 18th August 2011
JESTER MAFIA WEST

rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

CV's are pretty simple
Aint many parts !
Old 18th August 2011
Biker

It has screamin eagle pipes on it so what would I need to do this myself, just a rebuild kit and maybe a jet kit from harley?
Old 18th August 2011
JESTER MAFIA WEST

dont dick with the jets for now
just rebuld it
prolly has a 45 pilot and 180 main jet now
Old 18th August 2011
Biker

If theres not many parts in there, I believe I can get a rebuild kit from J&P Cycles for $30 and rebuild it myself, clean up the dirty parts. I would imagine the previous owner jetted it when he put the pipes on, but you never know...
Know Thy Hog