The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
sportxlh, willprevale (73), eagle (68), Willard (66), arby (63), XLC Curt (61), Boricuaurfer64 (50), zook1065 (47), Foxdud (46), stg (45), skeeter_xb (43), mountainman
Zippers Performance
Foxcreek Leather
Biltwell
Motor Stage

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2007
Biker

mark61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1200s a little bit lower please.

i just got a 1997 1200s at a good price. the problem is i'm "verticaly challenged"! now i have read about the "s" models great suspension and some might think that changeing it's forks and shocks is stupid but i never had any thought to do some knee dragging on this thing anyway! i will eventualy do more of a bobber project out of it in the future. i would like to keep the dual disk up front but want to give it a lower look and feel for my height. i'm all for keeping the stock rear shocks but i have noticed that any "lowering" kit out there says it can not be used on the 1200s model. i need some help with this. it looks like i might have to buy a different front end and loose the dual disk set up or try to find a kit to lower my 1200s 's forks. thanks for your help!
Old 6th December 2007
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
capttawes is on a distinguished roadcapttawes is on a distinguished roadcapttawes is on a distinguished roadcapttawes is on a distinguished road

Just need shorter rear shocks and lowering kit (springs) for the front.
You can likely get a good price selling the 1200S shocks as they're popular.
Progressive is the most popular and cheapest solution for suspension.
I did not see the 1200S listed on their site for shorter shocks and springs so you might give them a call 714.523.8700 or email info@progressivesuspension.com and ask for suggestions.
Old 6th December 2007
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

You have a "S" and a lot of people would gladly trade for your parts but I don't think you should give them up. Don't be in a big hurry to down grade your suspension, you may get use to the height. Taking off the dual brakes is a no-no. How about a lower seat? You could pick up 2". I'm 5' 6" and have the 13 Ż" shocks, stock front end and a Reach seat. No problem flat footing for me.

Last edited by Bob F; 6th December 2007 at 16:18.. Reason: Grammar
Old 6th December 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
jrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nice

When I first got my 'S' I was uncomfortable, barely getting my feet flat. & I'm 5/8. But I rode it awhile, and got used to how it felt and handled. Then I found out what I really had when I compared to some other sportsters, and found this site. My suggestion is to ride it maybe a little longer, and then make a decision after another 400-500 miles. Just my 0.02 cents though.

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Old 6th December 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

How much do you weigh? How much lower do you really need to go to get your feet on the ground?

I would be a lot easier to lower the seat by replacing the foam, or buying a new seat.

You might be able to set the shocks to the lowest preload setting, reduce fork preload, and move the forks up in the triple trees to gain an extra inch or two. This may change how the bike handles, so take it easy on the first test ride.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th December 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
melcheld has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttawes View Post
Just need shorter rear shocks and lowering kit (springs) for the front.
1200S's have adjustable catridge forks up front. You can't swap springs out on them. The best you could do is move the fork legs up in the trees by an inch or so and buy shorter shocks for the rear.

However, as a previous post said, changing the seat will make a huge difference. I have the LePera barebones seat and it dropped the seat height by 1.5-2" below the stock seat height. I'd go that route first. You can pick that seat up from CyborgCycles for about $125- much cheaper than any suspension work. Plus, you get to keep the great 1200S suspension.

Cheers,

Luke
Now if I have suspicion a felony's been committed, I can just walk right in here anytime I feel like it because I've got this badge, I got this gun, and I got the love of Jesus right here in my pretty, green eyes.
Old 6th December 2007
Biker

mark61 is an unknown quantity at this point

i was told that the fork legs could not be pushed up because they had a camphered edge that stops at the top tripple tree top. in fact the guy at the bike shop showed me a set of fork tubes with the top bolt on it. could he be mistakenly be talking about "big twin" forks? i thought all the narrow glide forks where pretty much the same?
Old 6th December 2007
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You can pick that seat up from CyborgCycles for about $125- much cheaper than any suspension work. Plus, you get to keep the great 1200S suspension.
What he said!!!
Old 6th December 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
paulskav is on a distinguished roadpaulskav is on a distinguished roadpaulskav is on a distinguished road

+1 on changing the seat first. Stock seat sux and needs to be thrown out anyway, IMO. I got a seat that put me closer to my handlebars and also dropped my "seat height" by an 1".
Old 6th December 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster Sport
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Kit1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I put a White Bros lowering kit on my S no problem. Lowered the seat height about an inch and a half.Forks can be put up through the top tree also.
Know Thy Hog