The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Licks Cycles
Foxcreek Leather
Sky Smith Insurance

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chrome sprocket, or chrome cover

Howdy,
I'm about to start putting some more chrome on my sporty, and wanted some advise to make sure I don't feel like I wasted money. I got a chrome belt cover for christmas was was going to also get a chrome rear sprocket cover to go with it when I found a chrome rear sprocket. The cover costs about $50 or so, while the chrome sprocket costs about $200.

What do people usually get, a new sprocket or just a cover. Has anybody got one, and wished they had gotten the other? What do you'll think?
Old 2nd January 2005
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 FXD Chopper Blue
barry1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get the cover. They fit well and spend the rest on more shiny stuff.
95 inch and more very soon.
Old 2nd January 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHTK
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
GregD is on a distinguished roadGregD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1967
Get the cover. They fit well and spend the rest on more shiny stuff.

I agree, the cover fits very well and at a quarter the cost.

Let me dig up a decent picture.

Ride Safe.

Greg....

Last edited by GregD; 2nd January 2005 at 01:56.. Reason: photo
Old 2nd January 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHTK
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
GregD is on a distinguished roadGregD is on a distinguished road

Just an afterthought,

If you get the cover or the chrome sprocket, be sure to get the 12 point polished stainless hardware kit. Makes a world of difference!

Greg....
Old 2nd January 2005
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll second Greg's note on the star bolts! Make sure you get them for the correct year though. The parts guy at the indy I bought mine them from said, here these will fit, the package said ??-98 XL, the threads fit fine but they were allen head and I didn't realize until I scrapped the paint off my swing arm that they were just a tad too high for the spacing on my '03. The indy swapped them for the correct size, even though I also took the chrome off two of the bolt heads, but I'm still out a little bit of paint.

Here's a pic of my cover, before I got the chrome button head star bolts amd chrome washers.

Gary
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th January 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C originally
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
mikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant future

i would go with the cover as well. it's much cheaper and it looks great. i just put it on my bike along with the chrome swinarm, chrome upper and lower belt guards and chrome caliper cover. My harley dealership must have figured i wanted everything chrome becuase they put all chrome hardware on without asking me and also put the chrome passenger peg mounts on which i forgot about telling them to do. they did it anyway. it's nice having someone else spend your money ha lol. it's ok though i would have done that anyway so they saved me some time and also a lot of money since they gave me 20% off all parts and labor and also installed my new progressive shocks the upper and lower covers which i already had for free also and they also gave me a new free header pipe for my vance and hynes straight shots because i converted the bike back to mid controls and also put a linby highway bar on so the front pipe would not work but they had a header laying around from another job so they put it on for free as well so i can't complain and they can't either since i gave them a $50.00 tip and spent another $80.00 for a hero and hot dish which i had a deli deliver to them as well. sorry for such a long post. once i start writing about something i have to tell the whole tale.
Old 8th January 2005
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeli_77
My harley dealership must have figured i wanted everything chrome becuase they put all chrome hardware on without asking me and also put the chrome passenger peg mounts on which i forgot about telling them to do. they did it anyway.
I think that might be pretty typical for the dealers to do the related hardware. I had my dealer put chrome lower fork sliders on my bike and as I was dropping the bike off at the service dept., I said to the guy "oh yah I guess I need the shiny drain plug, and spacer, etc". He said they always do all of those bolts and the axle covers as part of the install, because it just looks wrong if they don't do it.

Gary
Old 8th January 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LVBOATDOC is an unknown quantity at this point

WENT WITH THE COVER AND DROPPED BY THE LOCAL NUT SHOP AND PICKED UP SOME STAINLESS BOLTS AND WASHERS WHICH I POLISHED UP ON THE BUFFER AND SLAPPED IT ON. SINCE I HAD THE TIRE OFF I WENT AHEAD AND PUT ON A CHROME SWING ARM. AND SINCE I HAD THE BELT COVERS OFF I PUT ON CHROME ONES AS WELL. AND SINCE I HAD THE AXLE OUT I...... WELL YOU GET THE STORY
Old 8th January 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C originally
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
mikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant future

yeah that does make sense gary. would look kinda ugly having all the chrome and then all those ugly plain bolts and washers sticking out of them.
Old 26th January 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Don't they also make chrome bolt covers for the stock bolts? I think they're less expensive than the chrome bolts themselves.