The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Sky Smith Insurance
BIKE BUILDER
Biltwell
Motor Stage

Hammer Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883l
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
stafford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default power commander or fuel pak

Does the 883 and the 1200 both use the same unit?
Thanks, Stafford
Old 8th December 2007
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Biker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enough

Stafford, I know nothing about the fuel pack, but when you order a PCIII, Jamie will ask you how your engine is set up and whether 883 or 1200 or other. It will be shipped with an appropriate program based on what you tell him. I ordered my PCII for a stone stock 2007 1200C and could not be happier with the results. Linear throttling in any gear or load, no hiccup warmup and only dropped about 2 miles to the gallon.
Old 8th December 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883l
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
stafford is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks biker farmboy.
Old 8th December 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: fxln,55 pan,06 nght trn
SFV is an unknown quantity at this point

HD SERT is the only way to go. Harley bike Harley product, and thats that. Dont forget your dyno.
Old 8th December 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
nodak is an unknown quantity at this point

sert for me to ! but to each there own.
2007 xl1200c white gold pearl,16" apes, tach,chromed up everywhere,rk air shocks,progressive fork spring w/15w oil, mustang wide w/offset backrest and pillion, med low medallion backrest, detachable compact windshield,metzler me880 tires, sert, se ac,se performance heads, se .551 cams, rush 2.00 slipons 91.23 hp 79.34 tq
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th December 2007
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Biker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enoughBiker Farm Boy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV View Post
HD SERT is the only way to go. Harley bike Harley product, and thats that. Dont forget your dyno.
Why, Fuel Moto already did the dyno work.
Old 10th December 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
andrewwu is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, if you want new grips, Harley grips are the only way to go. That goes for pegs too. You beter get those HD blue jeans and boots too. You cant wear Levi's on a Harley, and thats that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV View Post
Old 10th December 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XL Roadster
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 8830XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLS Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
AeroSport has disabled reputation

Power Commander all the way, much more tuneable, you also get timing adjustment, and rev extension as well. No changes or programming of the ECU necessary. Pre developed maps available. Definately a no brainer. For the SERT lovers in the group, their maps are only developed with Harley components, if other than that they need to be dyno tuned, which brings their total cost to about 3 times that of a power commander, and if you ever change anything back to HD you go for another $300.00.

2007 1200XL R
RB Racing 2:1/ Mini Max/Power Vision / Dyna FXDX cartridge forks/13.5" Ricor IAS /Willwood/EBC front brakes/Lyndall Metal Matrix rear and much more
Old 10th December 2007
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the original poster's question, I would think they would need to know whether it's going on a 1200 or 883. How these two products work are by adjusting + or - of the original map. The original maps are different for 883 vs 1200. This is all simply software as the ECM part number is the same on either a 883/1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroSport View Post
Power Commander all the way, much more tuneable, you also get timing adjustment, and rev extension as well. No changes or programming of the ECU necessary. Pre developed maps available. Definately a no brainer. For the SERT lovers in the group, their maps are only developed with Harley components, if other than that they need to be dyno tuned, which brings their total cost to about 3 times that of a power commander, and if you ever change anything back to HD you go for another $300.00.
Interesting. How is the PCIII more tunable then a SERT? As I understand, the SERT gives full access to the timing, fuel maps, and rev limiter. I've always been under the impression that the SERT is way more tunable (in fact some that have used both say there is too much tunablity in the SERT, making them difficult to setup) I'm not a fan of canned maps, but you are correct they are WAY more available for the PCIII. I do understand that the SERT is a bit of a hassle to setup and the PCIII is probably more user friendly in that area. I've just never heard anyone say that it was more tunable. Curious on your input.

Old 10th December 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcstang View Post
To answer the original poster's question, I would think they would need to know whether it's going on a 1200 or 883. How these two products work are by adjusting + or - of the original map. The original maps are different for 883 vs 1200. This is all simply software as the ECM part number is the same on either a 883/1200.

Interesting. How is the PCIII more tunable then a SERT? As I understand, the SERT gives full access to the timing, fuel maps, and rev limiter. I've always been under the impression that the SERT is way more tunable (in fact some that have used both say there is too much tunablity in the SERT, making them difficult to setup) I'm not a fan of canned maps, but you are correct they are WAY more available for the PCIII. I do understand that the SERT is a bit of a hassle to setup and the PCIII is probably more user friendly in that area. I've just never heard anyone say that it was more tunable. Curious on your input.
I think there may also be some confusion between the SERF and the SERT. As far as I understand the SERF isn't as tuneable as the SERT (or the PCIII), but that's only what I have gathered from some casual browsing, I could easily have misunderstood.
Know Thy Hog