The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
Motor Stage
Biltwell
Superbrace

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
73xlch1000 is on a distinguished road73xlch1000 is on a distinguished road
Default proper kickstarting

I hate to ask this but is there.. or can someone post a video of the proper way to kicksart a 73 xlch 1000? ive been told i need to learn. mine takes a bunch of kicks for it to start but when it does it runs perfect from an instant, dont have to touch the throttle at all to keep it running, but sometimes it will start with choke and other times it will only start with it off. if it starts with choke i have to turn the choke off real quick as soon as it fires up. the plugs/wires are great it has either a points eliminator kit or electric ignition, whatever it is is pretty new, only thing else i can think of is the valves ajustment?
Old 29th August 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Each bike...

...is individual and has it's own particular starting ritual.
What it likes or doesn't like is based upon too many variables (carb, ignition, throttle response, etc.) to make a one-fits-all routine a near impossibility.

It usually takes living with a bike awhile to figure out what YOUR bike needs to keep it happy & make starting an easy affair.

Mine, for example, will usually fire with a decent half-kick & a squirt or two of throttle (hot or cold) the first time out --- but then again, we've had a 19-year relationship sealed with blood, suffering & sacrifice.
Old 29th August 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
73xlch1000 is on a distinguished road73xlch1000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan RoachCoach View Post
...is individual and has it's own particular starting ritual.
What it likes or doesn't like is based upon too many variables (carb, ignition, throttle response, etc.) to make a one-fits-all routine a near impossibility.

It usually takes living with a bike awhile to figure out what YOUR bike needs to keep it happy & make starting an easy affair.

Mine, for example, will usually fire with a decent half-kick & a squirt or two of throttle (hot or cold) the first time out --- but then again, we've had a 19-year relationship sealed with blood, suffering & sacrifice.
I just checked my plug gap and its just over .25 and since i have the points eliminator or electric ignition i think maybe the gap should be bigger? i dont know if that would make a diif. in its starting or not though.
Old 29th August 2011
Banned

Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default For electronic ignition...

...your spark plug gap should be at .040".
Do you have a factory service manual, or are you just winging it?

And, YEAH, it makes a big difference in starting.
Old 29th August 2011
Banned

Default BTW, what you have...

...appears to be a Dyna S --- or at least that's what the pic in another thread of yours appears to show.
They're extremely reliable & user-friendly without a lot of unnecessary gizmos like rev limiters (seriously, on an ironhead?) and programmable advance curves.
It is NOT a points eliminator but an electronic ignition, just not a fully-electronic unit.
It retains the mechanical advance unit, which is a plus if it ever craps out (though they rarely do) because you can just pop in a points plate & go.

I've had mine for years with ZERO issues, other than an occasional snapped flyweight spring.
Which is something you may want to take a look at (the advance springs) because a busted or stretched spring can play havoc with starting.

Viva Los Bastardos!!!
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th August 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Crane electronic ignition and it starts first kick...with the proper routine.

I kick it twice with the choke on...the ignition is off....those kicks dont count.

Then turn on the ignition....then during the next kick... flip the throttle a tad...and pow..its running.

Learn your starting routine before changing things if it running good now.

I watched the PO fight this thing when trying to start it....like he didnt have a routine...just keep kicking...lol
Old 29th August 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1973 Ironhead
Other Motorcycle Model: 00' Kawasaki ZX-7R
Other Motorcycle Year: 76
MegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura aboutMegaDON has a spectacular aura about

What carb are you running? Im running a mikuni, so I have the enrigher on (Hot/Cold) three kicks with the key off, turn the key on, Then one more kick and shes on, If I use the throttle is takes a lot more kicks
Old 29th August 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Chopped Shovel
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
sunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud ofsunchild2071 has much to be proud of

Be sure that your valves are adjusted right, and your timing as well. Sounds like your carb is good. From there, the other posts here basically cover it.

If those three items are good, you'll be able to spend more time grinnin' and ridin' and less time kicking.
Old 29th August 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

> ...only thing else i can think of is the valves ajustment?

Which will make a big difference in ease of starting, if they're out of adjustment.
Old 29th August 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaDON View Post
What carb are you running? Im running a mikuni, so I have the enrigher on (Hot/Cold) three kicks with the key off, turn the key on, Then one more kick and shes on, If I use the throttle is takes a lot more kicks

The Mikuni is different from most other carbs.
With a Mikuni carb the enricher is what makes it so easy to start.
Also, you never give a Mikuni any throttle when you start the engine. Just have the enricher on, with either a hot or cold engine and give it no throttle whatsoever.
If you do give it throttle, expect the engine not to start.
pg
Know Thy Hog