The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Biltwell
DK Customs
RYCA Motors
Motor Stage

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2011
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: cb750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Gojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the rough
Default turn signal issues

ok heres the problem,with the ignition on and engine off everything works fine i.e. right and left turns flash and hazzards flash,if i start the bike then only the left signal will flash and the hazzards work but the right signal just gets bright and does not flash any input would be appreciated....
Old 5th September 2011
Bike Builder

Gojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the rough

bump,cosmo where you at....lol
Old 5th September 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
bump,cosmo where you at....lol
Sorry Go....went to pick up a new jeep and was driving it home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
if i start the bike then only the left signal will flash and the hazzards work but the right signal just gets bright and does not flash
Go, does both the front and rear right signals just get bright? Also...what does it do if the ignition is on and the bike isn't running?

Typically these is a bad ground issue if both lights are lighting up as the TSM is not seeing enough current drawn from it so it doesn't make the signals flash.

Just out of curosity....pull the fuse for your lights and see if it does the same thing with the bike running and / or the ignition "on".

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 5th September 2011
Bike Builder

yes,well the rear comes on and the front gets bright as the rears are not running lights,with the ignition on engine off everything works fine its only when the engine is running that the right side dosnt flash,the hazzards will flash with the engine running
Old 5th September 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

I would start by pulling the bulbs our make sure there isn't any corrosion in the sockets. Then I would start checking the grounds and make sure everything is tight...with a wrench...not just wiggled by hand. Somewhere in the front or back you have an open condition in the ground wire since you are getting the lights to actually light up. Thats my $0.02....could be a pain the arse to track down.

If you have a multimeter that could help checking continuity of the ground wires too.
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th September 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
twotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nice

It might be the TSM is faulty too. I had an issue with mine working and it ended up being the TSM that was causing the problem.
Old 5th September 2011
Bike Builder

well the rear is only one wire and grounded through the housing,the front uses three wires two positives and one ground,i just dont understand how they can work with the engine off but not when running....
Old 5th September 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
twotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nicetwotoneXLH883C is just really nice

That is the typical wiring on most Harley's, rear is a single wire while front are three, rear is a single filament and front is dual filament. But as I said by the sounds of it the TSM could very well be the problem. When I had issues with mine they would sometimes work then as I'm going down the road the TSM would malfunction and the signals wouldn't flash, I checked the bulbs and wires finding nothing wrong, I've also got one of those run/stop/turn modules on my bike but the TSM was where the problem was at, a new TSM and they've worked ever since.
Old 5th September 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLR 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
TazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the roughTazzinTroll is a jewel in the rough

I have a 04 and my turn signals just started screwing up. My left signal comes on when the key is turned on and the left switch will not turn it off. But if I turn the right on then off the signals will turn off. The right one works fine. I cheched the lights and switchs for shorts and can find any . Now I will check for missing grounds. Maybe I'll just buy a new TSM?