The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
Zanzibar, stvmike (60), Leroywulf (56), Erik (53), SoCal Harley (48), drew96 (36), Reverend_d (34)
NRHS Performance Long 2
Ironworks Magazine
Licks Holiday
Motor Stage

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2005
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold
Default Dunlop 402 vs. 401 rears

Over the past several years I have had several different Dunlop rear tires on my scoot. I have to admit that I am pretty abbusive to the rear tire because I really like to twist my right wrist Anyway, my 2000 883C came with a D401 130/90-16 on the back and a D402 MH90-21 on the front.

When I got a screw in my rear tire, and was stranded, my local HD dealer replaced the factory D401 with a D402. When I questioned him about it, they claimed it was just a better tire and that all the 'big' bikes come with the 402 stock. I figured he was right. The tires are identical in appearance (tread pattern, side wall, etc). The bike seemed to perform fine with this tire on it, but it just didn't seem to last nearly as long or have the accelerating grip of the stock one.

After that one wore out very quickly and the front was finally ready to replace, I went out on the web to find a good deal. And that I found. I posted a while back int eh good vendors section all the details abotu this tire distributor. In that research, I kept coming across everyone recommending the D401 for the rear, so that is what I ordered and installed not even thinking about what the differneces were between the 401 and 402. Honestly I just figured since the big bikes had the 402 and the Sportster has had the 401, that the 402 much just be capable of handling more weight.

This tire is lasting quite a bit longer again and I haven't changed my riding style at all. So that got me to thinking....what is the REAL difference between the D401 and D402? I am just barely into my research on this, but thought I would pass along the initial findings. The size of the two is different!!!!! Yep, that's right the D402 (REAR) only comes in a MT90 B16 and the D401 is a 130/90 B16.

Translation:

401 = 25.40" diameter, 5.18" width, 12/32" tread depth, 805#@41psi weight capacity.

402 = 25.70" diameter, 5.20" width, 9/32" tread depth, 827#@40psi weight capacity.

As you can see, the 401 comes with deeper tread from day one. AND your speedo will be slightly off with the 402 from the slightly larger diameter.

I'll keep researching and will post whatever I find, but as a word of advice, unless you are really in a pinch, try to make sure that a 401 remains on the back of your scoot.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder

Last edited by Shu; 26th August 2005 at 15:41..
Old 26th August 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

RedRider has disabled reputation

Good info, Shu!
Old 26th August 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Lucifer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Shu, Good research and info!
I never considered a 402 on the Sportster but I was thinking about a set of 591's.
I think they were stock on the 1200S bikes. Anyway we (myself and friends) have purchased tires from Ron Ayres Racing off the web and found prices, freight, and customer service top notch. They offer most popular sizes and tread designs for H-D.
I've got over 10,000 miles on a 401 and it still looks good (deep tread) but I would like to know how the 591's wear. I think they are a softer compound.
Old 26th August 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

I was told that the 402 was a longer wear tire with a harder sidewall...

Thanx for this info...I have 401's on front and rear right now...I'll need to replace rubber before the year is out....

I'll be looking forward to seeing anything else you discover....Thanx!

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 4th September 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
JJOkey01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the very same bike and tires and love it. D401 has nice looking tread on the back still and it's getting pretty squared out....I'm looking to replace them. I was considering the 591's but wasn't sure if that would be a better tire for canyon riding. Can easily scrape pegs now, before the tire was worn down, and never felt my bike slide. It's my first bike and I've only been riding for about 5 Months maybe. I like to ride canyons a lot though and haven't for a while just because I need new tires. Any suggestions? I would go for a wider tire like the newer sportsters have but the older bikes down allow it.
Know Thy Hog