The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
sportxlh, willprevale (73), eagle (68), Willard (66), arby (63), XLC Curt (61), Boricuaurfer64 (50), zook1065 (47), Foxdud (46), stg (45), skeeter_xb (43), mountainman
Superbrace
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered
Motor Stage

Get Lowered
Tags
ecm, fuelpak, stage 1, xied

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Forty-Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
thewhyterhyno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default XiED vs fuelpak

Hey everyone,
so i've been doing some research and thread searches for an answer but i thought i'd throw this out there anyhow. i'm rolling a 2011 48 and i'm looking to upgrade my a/c to an arlen ness big sucker derby and my exhaust to VH big radius in the near future. now, in terms of fuel management i was originally planning on picking up a VH fuelpak but i've been hearing/reading rumblings about the fuelpak and that they're not worht the money and that it would be better to pick up one of these XIED O2 sensor setups from nightrider. so i suppose my question to you all is what you would put on your bike all else being equal? are the XIED better in terms of performace and efficiency or is it merely an issue of price? some of the other threads have addressed the XIED as a stopgap to an eventual ecm tune but i havent read any direct comparisons of the two. appreciate any advice/opinions. cheers...
Old 12th September 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
flashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to beholdflashedwards is a splendid one to behold

If you've done your research you'll know that one of the main differences between XiED products and a Fuelpak or Power Commander is adjustability. The Nightrider product that is the most popular with Sportster owners is the X14iED. It fools the computer into adding enough fuel to give you a AFR of 14.0:1. With a fuelpak there are 35 different modes in which you can select a variable. With a Power Commander there are 270 areas for each cylider that can be adjusted for fuel and another 270 for each cylinder that are adjustable for timing. As you can see there is alot more adstability with this than there is with an XiED product. Nightrider did come out with the AFXiED which gives you the option of adjusting the AFR from 14.6:1 to 13.6:1. I started with the X14iEd and later moved up to the AFXiED because the rear cylinder on these motors (for some reason) runs just a tad leaner. Eventually I made the move to a Power Commander V. It has been a learning experience for me and each product has done as it was supposed to do...I just continued to upgrade.
Flash

2009 XL1200N Nightster...SE Heavy Breather>SE SP black slip-ons w/modified Cycle Shack baffles>Speedway Instruments MicroTach+>Super Brace>Kriss headlight modulator. Willie G skulls @ gas cap,derby and timer>Misc. black nut and bolt covers>Garage Leathers solo bag>Mustang Vintage 12.5" solo seat>LED taillights>10.75" RK air shocks>G2 Ergonomics Quick Turn throttle>Power Commander V>Giving 10R12 plugs a try.

76 HP X 79 TQ

Ol' Dirtbeard of the Cracked Craniums MC
Old 13th September 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
jguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nice

Also consider the new Power Vision made by Dynojet. It seems to be the hot ticket right now.
Old 13th September 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

I own the X14ieds and am completely satisfied with them for how I ride. I dont race or have a need to show off, so working in the closed loop system is fine for me for now. I understand a nice fuel pack will make my bike run even better than it already is, but I cant justify the cost of it right now, as I am completely satisfied with how it runs as is. The ied's are a cheap bandaid, and will cool it down and make it run better than the factory, but it wont replace what a tuner could do if you want more.
Old 13th September 2011
Turbo Mafia

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Crosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant futureCrosshairs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguynn View Post
Also consider the new Power Vision made by Dynojet. It seems to be the hot ticket right now.
Ill agree with this......look at the PV...its worth every penny
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th September 2011
Biker

right on guys thanks for the input. i know the Xied are just a "cheat" and the plug and play units are programmable, but just wondered if as stated the xied would be a good bandaid for now. i'll definitely check out that power vision, never looked at that one. thanks again for the input.
Old 13th September 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki DR650
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
COSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the roughCOSpringer is a jewel in the rough

I think Fuelpak works best with V&H or SE pipes that they have dynoed the maps. At least that's been my experience with another brand of pipes and then V&H Blackout 2:1.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 13th September 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
ColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond repute

The XiEDs don't do any tuning, they just increase the AFI when in closed-loop mode (that is the partially open throttle, cruising type of riding) so they work well on stock or lightly tuned bikes where the ECM is able to self-adjust its Adaptive Fuel Tables within its limits when in open-loop mode. Your intended set-up could well take the ECM out of the range that the AFT can adjust to so the XiEDs would be a poor choice, IMHO of course.

I've been running an XiED tuned bike (replaced with O2 eliminators after 1000miles) for three years now and I'm very happy with them, but my bike's engine is stock. The only thing I would upgrade to is a Power Vision.
Old 13th September 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhyterhyno View Post
right on guys thanks for the input. i know the Xied are just a "cheat" and the plug and play units are programmable, but just wondered if as stated the xied would be a good bandaid for now. i'll definitely check out that power vision, never looked at that one. thanks again for the input.
I think if your just going to use the Xied as a band aid for now, it'll work just fine. Just keep the Power Vision on your wish list.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 14th September 2011
Biker

after going over all the input and mullng over the features i think i've decided to go with the VH fuelpak. for one, its cheaper than the power vision, albeit not as programmable, it's alread set up to go with the upgrades i plan on doing, and its an upgrade from just the O2 sensor cheat. thanks again for the tips. i hope it all goes to plan.
Know Thy Hog