The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Members Birthdays
hdbabe49 (65), gene405 (58), hongkong076 (44), whispanic (34)
Motor Stage
883 Sportster
Figure Machine
Biltwell

Burly
Tags
magnet, oil filter, transmission

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
del_1200R is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission/Primary Plug and Oil Filter Magnets

Has anyone tried these rare-earth magnet drain plugs?
http://www.cyclesolutionsonline.com/...Drain_Plug.htm

They're a little pricey, so I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with these. I have a stock magnetic plug but I'm a little concerned about it coming loose in the primary.

I'm also wondering about putting magnets on the outside of the oil filter. I guess this would help trap some of the tiny ferrous particles that might get through the filter. But I wonder if they'd interfere with other nearby stuff, like the voltage regulator and the Oxygen sensor wires (I'm using the ThunderMax with wide-band O2 sensors). I'm probably being too cautious though.
Old 14th September 2011
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 02 SV gone but not forgot
ozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to beholdozark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by del_1200R View Post
Has anyone tried these rare-earth magnet drain plugs?
http://www.cyclesolutionsonline.com/...Drain_Plug.htm

They're a little pricey, so I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with these. I have a stock magnetic plug but I'm a little concerned about it coming loose in the primary.

I'm also wondering about putting magnets on the outside of the oil filter. I guess this would help trap some of the tiny ferrous particles that might get through the filter. But I wonder if they'd interfere with other nearby stuff, like the voltage regulator and the Oxygen sensor wires (I'm using the ThunderMax with wide-band O2 sensors). I'm probably being too cautious though.
Just my opinion, but a magnet is a magnet nothing magic about rare earth magnets.

I have been running a magnet on my oil filter for years. No interference with my electronics. I recently switched over to a larger filter with a built in magnet. I bought mine from Dennis Kirk: Part# 306804
Extra-Long High-Performance Magnetic Oil Filter. Never a problem.

Ozark
Old 14th September 2011
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice07XL1200N is just really nice

They look like they would be good thing to have.
Old 14th September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
del_1200R is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark View Post
Just my opinion, but a magnet is a magnet nothing magic about rare earth magnets.
True, except that rare earth magnets are stronger. So they may grab shavings, sludge, etc more rapidly and effectively.

On the other hand, too strong a magnet could have undesirable effects, such as signal interference (Ampere's Law). Not sure if the oil filter would be close enough to cause a problem. If its a conventional magnet, I'm sure it wouldn't be strong enough to cause issues, but something stronger might.