The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Get Lowered
Bison Motorsports
Motor Stage

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th September 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 Harley Nightrain
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Old rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of light
Default 07 relays

I need to replace the relays in my 07 883C one of them is broken open, probably from when the battery cover tried to fly off. Any cheap auto parts numbers out there for replacement? I drive past a dozen auto parts stores on my way home from work, my Harley dealer is a 50 mile round trip and I can't get there during the week. It is not so much a money thing as it is a convenience thing. Thanks in advance
Old 15th September 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
jguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nice

Someone has the cross-over numbers for the relays in their signature. I don't have them handy, but I'm sure someone will post the info for you.
Old 15th September 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Org/Blk
erbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud oferbie07nightster has much to be proud of

Here you go.

The water-logged OEM starter/system relay on 2007-2009 Sportsters is a OMRON G8H-UA-007401, but this can be crossed over to some automotive apps: Borg Warner R3154, Gp Sorenson 41-5154, Niehoff RL 35381 are examples. (snagged from DG Sportster's signature)
Old 15th September 2011
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Clean the relay bases and coat them with dielectric grease.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 16th September 2011
Master Mechanic

Old rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of light

quote=Bob F;3524966]Clean the relay bases and coat them with dielectric grease.[/quote]

Well I think one of mine needs a little more than that. I am old and easily confused. I have read that both relays are the same. This is what I found in mine. I have read here that a 07 will use a BWD R134 from Auto Zone for 6.99. My local Auto zone can't find it. Any suggestions? Are they both the same?
The cheapest one I have found is $10 AND THEY ONLY HAVE ONE IN STOCK.
[/IMG]
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th September 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
jguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nice

Both relays are the same, as a matter of fact you can try to troubleshoot by switching the relays and seeing if the problem moves.
Old 16th September 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster C
DG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to all

It's a pretty common relay in automotive apps, so there are probably plenty of other brands as well...
The water-logged OEM starter/system relay on 2007-2009 Sportsters is a OMRON G8H-UA-007401, but this can be crossed over to some automotive apps: Borg Warner R3154, Gp Sorenson 41-5154, Niehoff RL 35381 are examples. Good luck!
Old 16th September 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C (Gone)
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FJR1300A
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
Teehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
Clean the relay bases and coat them with dielectric grease.
That's right... and have a spare.
Old 16th September 2011
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguynn View Post
Both relays are the same, as a matter of fact you can try to troubleshoot by switching the relays and seeing if the problem moves.
Thanks. Someone must have replaced one of mine with something else, the one on the left is different, than the one on the right.

The one on the right matches the stock part number and seems to have a resistor shown in the diagram, the one on the left seems to operate the same but does not have the resistor. I am not sure what happened to it, I bought the bike used and that is the condition that I found it.
Old 22nd September 2011
Master Mechanic

Default Relay FI Sportster FYI

I had a bad relay. It had become damaged the top was broken off and would stick "on" causing the fuel pump to run when it shouldn't. After much research and trying to buy the relays already listed here as a replacement, I had no luck. My local Auto parts stores didn't have them at an economical price. I found a Toyota/Lexus relay for under $7 on Amazon with free shipping due to my prime membership. I had a hard time looking up the pin print outs but they seemed to match my old one. I bought 2 of them delivered to my door for less than $14. They came in a Beck/Arnley box with no pin out information. Bare Bones. It is Relay 12V 90987-02012 156700-0870. I replaced my damaged relay with this one and all my error codes went away and my bike runs perfect. The way it was acting I thought I had a fuel pump pressure problem and I bought the kit to fix it but did not yet install it. The relay seems to have fixed it. This relay is very well sealed and seems to weigh just a tad more than the origional. Thanks to all who have helped me with information. The number on top of the Beck/Arnley box is 203-0133. I hope this is helpful to someone. I am old school, points/condenser and dwell angle kind of guy but I try to learn.

Oh and I just returned from a little 20 mile ride on my 07 883C. I love that bike.
Know Thy Hog