The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
RYCA Motors
Motor Stage
S&S Cycle
Foxcreek Leather

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
RoCoFF is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Drag bars on a superlow??

I have spent the last few days searching around trying to find an answer and I couldn't. If I wanted to add risers and drag bars to my bike, how would I go by getting around the integrated riser/triple tree? Looking at it, I think the speedo would be an issue as well. Any ideas?
Old 20th September 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: M2 Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Redbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Risers and dragbar installation

What exactly do you mean by integrated/riser triple tree? Are you talking about a Sportster? If it is, I don't know what model you are talking about. As for installing risers and drag bars it can be a bit more complicated then merely bolting together the hardware. Quite often it is necessary to extend the wires to the gauges and also lengthen the brake and clutch lines. It all depends on how much you raise up the handlebars. And on the brake line it will be necessary to rebleed the entire works when you reassemble it. If you don't have the technical expertise or tools to do this you need to take your bike to a bike mechanic.
Old 20th September 2011
Biker

I'm talking about a 2011 Sportster Superlow. The triple tree and the riser are one piece. I was considering adding risers to it, but i don't want to buy another triple tree to. I also think that a nice low set of drag bars would make for a nice look. This would lower the handlebar. I believe the factory bars are 8 inches tall.

Last edited by RoCoFF; 20th September 2011 at 15:01.. Reason: wording
Old 20th September 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
BKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to beholdBKB is a splendid one to behold

Look for "dogbone" risers. They have a clamp at both ends & using a stub of a bar in the stock riser, allow you to add a different bar combo above the stocker. They come in different lenghths & you are able to set the angle to what ever suits your application. Used to be used a lot back in the '60s & '70s, on choppers & customs. J&P may have some. If not, you'll probly be looking at one of the custom shops, like Joker Machine, Roland Sand Designs, etc.
Old 21st September 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: M2 Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Redbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of lightRedbeard2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dog Bone Risers

Dog bone risers are a good idea for what you have in mind. I didn't know about the new design on the super lows upper triple tree. You can get the dog bone risers in several lengths and then run the drag bars. The only other solution is to buy a new or used upper triple tree off of Ebay or Craig's List. On my 06 Sporty I'm running 6.5" pullback risers to give my drag bar roughly a very similar position to the stock handlebars. I didn't have to extend my control wires but it was close. If you can't find the dog bone risers the length you need any competant machine shop can turn you out a pair of one offs but it will cost you some bucks.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st September 2011
Biker

Seems like they might be the right idea. I still can't decide if they are what im really looking for. I can't find any pictures of my back with anything other than stock and mini apes.We shall see.
Old 24th September 2011
Biker

I wonder if nightster take off bars would be a wise decision. I'm not too sure that the dogbone risers would give me the look im looking for. These bars can be had for next to nothing and would give the superlow a sportier look.
Old 7th July 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Angel D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What did you end up getting, RoCoFF?

The HD website doesn't provide much info on alternate handlebars for the SuperLow. I was told the Nighster/Iron883 drag bars won't fit because the SL has a larger tank. But I saw a white/blue SuperLow on YouTube with those drag bars. I also saw handlebar part no. 56082-83 at a dealer but they said it only fits Sportsters UP to 2003. Where you able to find anything?

Thanks.