The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Zanzibar, stvmike (60), Leroywulf (56), Erik (53), SoCal Harley (48), drew96 (36), Reverend_d (34)
Motor Stage
Dead Creek Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Superbrace

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1980 IH Sportster XLH
Macky1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default idler gear bushing and cam gear bearing replacement

What tools do you need to replace the idler gear bushing and the cam bearings?
Old 23rd September 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

To ream a new idler bushing to size after installing you need a 9/16 inch reamer.

To remove the cam gear needle bearings (and install new ones) requires a tool that looks like a slide hammer.

If you plan on installing new bronze bushings in the timing cover this requires yet another tool to remove the bushings, then you have to install new bushings and drill and pin each bushing.

In addition, you will need to split the crankcases and have the required reamers to line ream the new bushings (except the idler bushing) so everything lines up.

I suggest you skip the bronze bushings unless yours are totally worn out. That is a major operation in my view.
pg
Old 23rd September 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1980 IH Sportster XLH
Macky1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im sending in the cam cover to vtwin to do the cam cover bushings...I want to replace the idler gear bushing and the cam gear bearings, how do I remove the idler bushings from the motor case? and were can I get a 9/16 inch reamer?

Will this work for bearing removal?

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-h...ler-95987.html
Old 23rd September 2011
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky1986 View Post
Im sending in the cam cover to vtwin to do the cam cover bushings...I want to replace the idler gear bushing and the cam gear bearings, how do I remove the idler bushings from the motor case? and were can I get a 9/16 inch reamer?

Will this work for bearing removal?

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-h...ler-95987.html
Sending the cover to VTwin to have the bushings installed?
You know what is going to happen?
VTwin will install the bushings in the cover and send the cover back to you. THEN........

What are they going to do about reaming the bushings to size?
A new bushing has an undersize hole in it and after it is installed in the cover it most likely has not gone in straight, in addition to the under size hole(s).

This is the reason you need to take the engine apart and line ream the bushings by bolting the cover in place and then go in through the cam bearings and into the bushings with the reamer. The finished reamed bushing(s) are then in line so the cams do not bind up.
You will notice there are dowel pins in the cover and these are to make sure the cover goes on in place. Each engine is different, so no two covers are alike. Thus the cover is line reamed when it is built at the factory.

Just think about this.... You are having to line up 4 camshafts and a pinion gear shaft that are all working together.
If one or more of the cams are not inline binding is going to happen.
Sorry to have to give you this news but this is how it is.

I have shown a pic of the different tools you will need to remove the bushings, bearings etc..........

These are Harley tools and used to be sold. Today I doubt any of these tools are available because an ironhead is so old they are no longer made.
That said, the tools have part numbers so you can check to see if the Jim's Tool will do the job of the factory tool using the part number to cross reference.
I have no experience with any Jim's Tool so I cannot help you there.

You can buy a 9/16 reamer almost anywhere. Here is a link to Grizzly where they sell a 9/16 inch reamer for under $11.
http://grizzly.com/products/G9429

To remove the idle bushing from the case you need to use tool number 1 and either number 2, 3, or 4.
If you do not have a factory service manual you should not be doing this kind of work.
The manual tells you everything you need to know and do to change out the bushings and bearings.
pg

PS: I mistakenly gave you a link to the reamer but I noticed it is a 'chucking ' reamer. This has no flat on the end to place a wrench.
So, Grizzly will most likely has the reamer with the necessary flats, but if not give MSC a try.
They will have it for certain.

Also, you do know how to use a reamer don't you?
You turn a reamer in one direction only. Say clockwise.
You enter the bushing turning the reamer clockwise and ream the bushing.
Then still turning clockwise you extract the reamer from the bushing.
If you reverse the turning direction you have ruined a new bushing.

Last edited by piniongear; 23rd September 2011 at 04:33.. Reason: added PS.