The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Sportster Specialty  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage
BIKE BUILDER

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Moe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the roughMoe47 is a jewel in the rough
Question 4" over fork tubes

Ok, I gave up trying to find a cheaper way to get more travel out of my 08 883L forks. So I am going to stretch things out a bit. I like'm long and low.
I'm going with 4 inch over tubes, progressive damper rods and springs (1/4 inch exposed preload spacer), the air fork mod, 3 degree cups and 3 degree trees. The trail works out to between 4.8 and 5.2, depending whos calculator is used with the 13 inch RK air shocks lowered 1 inch. The wheelbase ends up 3 or 4 inches longer while only raising the seat height around 1 inch and the frame rails should end up level to the ground.

My question is; how much oil am I going to need when I install these tubes?

Would I do the measure from the top thing or go with the one ounce over recommened Whittlebeast theory?

If it is gotta be the trial and error method what would be a good starting point?

Thanks in advance!

Old 14th December 2007
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 84
black06883 is an unknown quantity at this point

I too would be curious about these questions being answered. I am looking to get tubes that are only 1 to 2 inches longer to compensate to my much longer shocks.
Old 14th December 2007
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not an expert here... but I very much doubt that getting longer
tubes is going to give you any extra travel. The travel will still be
limited by the ends in the sliders. won't it?

Gazza
Old 14th December 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud offlathead45 has much to be proud of

you got it gazza, only longer sliders will give more travel but they don't make such a thing
thank god for darwin ;)
Old 14th December 2007
Banned

LOL well there goes my great idea! That explains why the old dirt bikes had sliders that were so long the axle sat a few inches up from the bottom. Hmmm what to do now?
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th December 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Xman75 is an unknown quantity at this point

why are you trying to get more travel?
Old 14th December 2007
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Tubes get longer, the oil level stays the same as wet or dry!!

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

Riding Through Life One Mile At A Time!!!
Old 14th December 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

The other thing that's not coming out right in your calculation is the frame rails sitting level on the ground.....

I've just completed this install and MAYBE, if you did a 6* rake at the trees, you might be close to level, but doing 3* in the trees and the cups, 2" over is the level length you want on the tubes...

4" over lifts the rails about 1 1/2" higher and you'll need an 11" jiffystand from a glide or softail...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 14th December 2007
Banned

Ever ride a bike that has long travel comliant suspension? Gives a great ride. Had an old BMW air head that had long travel set up and thought it would be great on the sporty. But that's just me.
Old 14th December 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

If the sliders are the same as the R models. using a longer tube and springs should increase the travel to that of the R model. i think it will work though you may need to change some other parts like the dampers maybe. A parts break down of the two would show any differences.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Know Thy Hog