The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jenks60 (59), Hammer of God (53), billas 100th (50), sam19 (49), ivory hunter (46), cumnz (45), TJ Willy (41), SINdicated (35), XRavenX (32)
Motor Stage
RYCA Motors
Foxcreek Leather
Biltwell

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future
Question Engine Support Brackets

The Iron has 3 cruddy chrome engine support brackets at the top:

[1] at the front, with 2 nuts, and a bolt to between the downtubes
[2] middle of the left side, with two nuts
[3] rear of the left side, with two nuts, and a bolt to the frame backbone

I want to remove all of these to clean them up. The big question is: Can i remove all of them together? Or should i do them one at a time.
Old 2nd January 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

mine has.....
[1] nope ain't got it
[2] attached to under side of top tube between heads
[3] nope ain't got that one eather

guess I can't help you as to how to remove them cause I don't have the same setup
thank god for darwin
Old 3rd January 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: Yes
HrdlyDangrs has disabled reputation

I think they changed the motormounts in 79 from the single center mount styles of the early Ironheads to a multi mount. Supposedly I think to help with stopping the breaking of the original mounts and the heads from cracking around the bolt holes and to supply a stronger upper engine mount system.
I can't say for sure, but probably the early single center mounting stile will bolt up...if so you can just eliminate the other mounts. You would have to get an early one to see if its possible. I'll see if I can get out to the garage tonight and get my parts book and manuals. I'll check back later.....Anyone else know?? Hrdly

Last edited by HrdlyDangrs; 3rd January 2005 at 00:29..
Old 3rd January 2005
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: had an IRONHEAD XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Irondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of lightIrondrake77 is a glorious beacon of light

mine's like that I took all the bolts out and I still couldn't get the engine out without removing the rockercovers, so you should be alright.
Old 3rd January 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future
Lightbulb

I should also mention here that i am planning on painting the engine while it is in the frame. So i want to get as much stuff as possible out of the way. Hence, if i can remove all 3 then that makes the painting easier - less masking.

How to remove them is not a problem. I have a wrench! I suspect that removing all 3 is not a problem - the engine will not fall out. But i thought it would be wise to check with the combined wisdom of all my IronBuddies first.
Know Thy Hog