The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Gennyred (64), Spatialanomaly (60), ColinB (54), HD1000XL (49), tub531
DK Customs
Get Lowered
Superbrace
Bison Motorsports

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to all
Default Roll your own filter

THE #1 HOLE MUST BE WELDED UP OR TAPPED AND A SCREW OR BOLT USED TO BLOCK THE HOLE. YOU MUST USE A SEALER ON THE THREADS IF USING THE TAP METHOD AND GRIND THE OUTSIDE SMOOTH TO THE BASE METAL AND IF YOU WANT, CENTER PUNCH THE THE END TO PREVENT BACKING OUT. THE HEAD MUST BE ON THE INSIDE OF THE MOUNT.
THE #2 HOLE NEEDS TO BE DRILLED TO ACCEPT A 3/8 NPT BUSHING TO A 1/4 NPT. YOU CAN USE A 1/4 HERE BUT I USED THE LARGER INCASE I NEED TO CHANGE THE HOSE ADAPTER AND THE THREADS GET MESSED UP. THE NPT IS TAPERED SO YOU ONLY WANT TO RUN THE TAP 1/3 THE WAY SO THE BUSHING CAN HAVE A NICE INTERFERENCE FIT. YOU NEED TO RUN THE BUSHING UP TIGHT WITH A BOX WRENCH.
WITH THE END OF THE BUSHING STICKING TO THE OUTSIDE, PLACE THE FILTER OVER THE THE BUSHING, MAKING SURE THE BUSHING IS AGAINST THE INSIDE RIDGE OF THE FILTER NEXT TO THE O-RING. NOW DRAW A CIRCLE AROUND THE OUTSIDE OF THE FILTER. TAKE A RULE AND PLACE AT ONE END OF THE DRAWN RING AND ROTATE RULE TILL YOU GET THE HIGHEST READING ON THE OTHER END AND DRAW A LINE. YOU MUST DO THIS SEVERAL MORE TIME. THE PLACE WHERE THEY INTERSECT IN THE MIDDLE IS THE CENTER OF THE CIRCLE. NOW YOU MUST DRILL AND TAP THE HOLE FOR A 3/4" BY 16 TPI BOLT. THE BUSHING CAN BE GROUND DOWN FLUSH WITH THE BASE METAL AND SNUGGED UP AGAIN AFTER THE HEAT FROM GRINGING ENDS, POINT BEING THE BUSHING MUST NOT INTERFERE WITH FILTER.
THE BOLT NEEDS TO BE DRILL THROUGH THE CENTER FOR A 1/4" NPT HOLE. TAP THE HEAD END ABOUT 1/2 TO 3/4 DEEP. THE BOLT THREADS FROM THE INSIDE USING A THREAD SEALANT AND A COPPER WASHER UNDER THE HEAD. IF YOU CAN NOT FIND A WASHER, MAKE SEVERAL PASSES OF TEFLON TAPE UNDER THE HEAD AND WRENCH IN TIGHTLY.
THE FILTER TO USE IS A WALMART SUPERTECH ST4967 OR ST 4386. THE PUROLATOR PL14476 OR PL1447; MOBIL1 M1-102; BOSCH 3330; AMSOIL 133, 134, 135; BALDWIN B33, B37; FRAM PH4967; HASTINGS LF410, LF413; NAPA 1394; PUROLATOR ML16822; OR THE WIX 51395, 51396 AS OTHER OPTIONS. THESE FILTER RUN 3" TO 3.5" LONG AND HAVE AN 8 PSI BY-PASS VALVE.
THE INLET TO THE FILTER FROM SCAVENGE SIDE (RETURN TO TANK) OF PUMP GOES TO THE BUSHING OR OUTSIDE OF FILTER ( RING WITH MULTI-HOLES) CENTER HOLE. THE RETURN TO THE TANK COMES FROM THE CENTER HOLE OF THE FILTER. IF YOU USE A COOLER, THIS CENTER CONNECTION WILL GO TO THE COOLER AND OUTLET OF COOLER TO TANK.
THE TOTAL INVESTMENT WAS ABOUT 20 BUCKS, NOT INCLUDING THE FILTER, JUST BARB CONNECTIONS AND SUCH. THIS CAN BE DONE ON THE MACHINE ALTHOUGH IT IS EASIER DOING ON THE BENCH.

Old 30th June 2014
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
sdsbassist is on a distinguished roadsdsbassist is on a distinguished roadsdsbassist is on a distinguished roadsdsbassist is on a distinguished roadsdsbassist is on a distinguished road

Readin the PL14476 has a higher bypass psi 11-14

Sent from my N9500 using Tapatalk
Old 30th June 2014
Chief Know It All

sdsbassist is on a distinguished roadsdsbassist is on a distinguished roadsdsbassist is on a distinguished roadsdsbassist is on a distinguished roadsdsbassist is on a distinguished road

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Nevermind...guess its ok

Old 30th June 2014
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Icefire is on a distinguished roadIcefire is on a distinguished roadIcefire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsbassist View Post
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Nevermind...guess its ok

Most of those listed for HD were for newer bikes with much higher oil pressure. Any Ironhead is lucky to have 6-8 lbs when hot. Be careful with filters that have more than the 7 lbs talked about by the others in this thread.
Keith Black .010 over pistons, Andrews PB+ cams, Accel Supercoil, solid core wires, rejetted Keihin Butterfly carb, S&S air cleaner, Unleaded conversion, valve job, heads bored, new rocker arms, rockers, pushrods, seals, Accel Cyclelite Platinum plugs, Accel 8.8 mm plug wires, Big Boar BB1000 battery, O-ring chain, upgraded handlebar controls,Maxxis tires, GMA front brake, drilled disk, Mustang seat, custom grips, Skull point cover, skull gas cap, RunRoader exhaust pipes, pullback drag bars, etc…
Old 30th June 2014
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud ofbarefoot has much to be proud of

Shoot. I read the title and thought it was going to be about those J.C. Whitney things that use a roll of toilet paper for the element
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th June 2014
Chief Know It All

Tomorrow i will go through all of those and find the one with the lowest bypass. Ive never been this picky

Old 30th June 2014

bustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to all

actually the toilet paper filters were introduced by frantz and were extremely effective!!! they carried a faa number for piston aircraft engines. been running them from the 60's, buy one for life, back then 25 bucks, now over 200 bucks.
the best filter to use is one without a by-pass but oil drain back becomes an issue, do you want the start ups lacking oil??? those filters I listed have 8 psi by-pass and will work with the iron. when you look at a running iron, the pressure you see is the restriction in the system, not the pressure of the pump!!! the pump in good shape without excessive slippage is capable of way more than 8 psi.
sideline question. on a water pump in an auto, what is the pressure at the suction while running, it will surprise you because the answer is not what you think. fluid flow follows certain dynamics.
Old 30th June 2014
Chief Know It All

So whose numbers do i trust for the PL? I see a sticky in the making

Old 30th June 2014
Chief Know It All

Heres a great site:

http://oilfilterdata.com/index.php?v...&model=pl14476

For example for the pl14476 it says 11-14 psi, but the post and other site says 8 ....

Old 30th June 2014

check with the mfg. site data. the numbers I stated are from awhile back and was good at time of writing but mfg's do change spec's so get it from the horses mouth. another source is lawn tractor filters which are usually smaller in size and hide better. walmart here quit handling supertec (champion labs) so I use the Purolator on my ch. fram is good for what it is but many find issues with its construction, aka, I use the Purolator.
Know Thy Hog