The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Burly
CV Performance
Lowbrow Customs
Ironworks Magazine

Zippers Performance
Tags
battery, iron 883, oil tank, relocation, relocation kit

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
mrrshotshot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Battery Relocation

Has anybody figured out a way to relocate their battery on an Iron 883?

I would love to install an old school oil tank like the one pictured below but the battery would be in the way. Wondering if anybody figured out how to do this?

Any info would be awesome.
Old 25th October 2011
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure that this has not been attempted on a Rubber Mount Sportster.

You can be the first.

Skills needed:

Welder, fabricator, engineer, and painter.

Hardly worth the effort by itself. If you were going to hard tail the bike, it would be a necessary modification.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 25th October 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
mr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to behold

I've seen cylindrical oil bags which wrapped around a battery box. Do a google search for round oil bag battery box...as for fitting it on a rubbermount EFI, dunno.

-m
Old 25th October 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Check out these new small lightweight batteries. Could make it much easier.

http://www.kwsmotorsports.com/batteries.htm

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 25th October 2011

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R Hardtail
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Charles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to behold

One guy relocated the battery to a bag on the side of the swingarm. Maybe get an old ammo box and tack it to the swingarm, reroute all your wires. Or, go for a smaller, LiPoFe battery and nestle it somewhere under the oil tank. Maybe get an older Sportster style oil tank that hung off the side of the bike?
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st November 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLN
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
gaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura aboutgaddie08 has a spectacular aura about

jharback: i'm looking into a new battery as well. have you heard anything or personally used one of these smaller batteries? i'm thinking that this would help me to clean up my fender and fuelpak area as well. all of those components could fit down where the "big" battery used to if you had one of these smaller ones.
Old 1st November 2011

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R Hardtail
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Charles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to beholdCharles: is a splendid one to behold

There have been quite a few people use the smaller A123 battery packs. Most sites recommend a 12 cell pack, but a user on here used an 8 cell pack just fine. Search for "small batter" or "A123" and you should get some hits.
Old 1st November 2011
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
Check out these new small lightweight batteries. Could make it much easier.

http://www.kwsmotorsports.com/batteries.htm
There might be some mileage in this. Look at this kit that Rocket Bobs makes for the Dyna:

(clicky)

(clicky)

I'm not suggesting that you could use that kit, but it might give you some ideas.
'The green machine'
Old 1st November 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 w/1200 kit
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
n2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the roughn2winu2001 is a jewel in the rough

I've been looking into this also. Here is something that i am looking at

http://shop.choppers157.com/item.asp?cID=44&PID=186

or this one

http://shop.choppers157.com/item.asp?cID=44&PID=160

Hope this helps out!
Old 1st November 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddie08 View Post
jharback: i'm looking into a new battery as well. have you heard anything or personally used one of these smaller batteries? i'm thinking that this would help me to clean up my fender and fuelpak area as well. all of those components could fit down where the "big" battery used to if you had one of these smaller ones.
No I haven't personally used them yet. I'm about to order a Shorai for the Sporty and the Guzzi tho'. Same technology just bigger in size but, much, much lighter.

I've talked with people that have these smaller batteries. But, none have used them for more than a season. Only problem I've heard with them is that you can't charge them with a standard battery charger. The twelve packs are recommended but, I've heard that the eight packs work also.
Know Thy Hog