The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
NHRS Performance
NHRS Performance
Get Lowered
Superbrace.com

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Cavalcade
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
kimosabe1960 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Part name

Hey all! On my 1999 I snapped a bolt on the fender strut. It was the rear one that holds the back rest and threads into a brace inside the fender. To remove it was a nightmare but got it out when I removed the fender. Since I'm doing a paint job I wasn't worried about the scratching I did but the bracket on the inside of the fender is now stripped of all the threads. I removed the bracket but don't know what it's called! I can't look for a replacement without knowing what the number or name of it is! Any help? Thanks, Joe
Old 18th November 2011
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

is it just a stamped piece of steel with nuts welded in it?? fixing it is probably faster, easier and cheaper than finding a new one........ can you post a pic of it??

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 18th November 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Cavalcade
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
kimosabe1960 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it's just a piece of steel with the round threaded inserts welded on each side that stick thru the holes in the fender. There are NO threads left in it so locktite wouldn't really hold it since it supports the fender, strut and back rest bracket. I thought about just getting a longer bolt to go thru it and putting a nut on it but there's already no room between that nut and the tire as it is.
Old 18th November 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 Hammer Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Gcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond repute

You could put in a Helicoil to restore it to the original thread size if you can't find a replacement part.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading . "
--Thomas Jefferson

Hammer Performance 1250 kit w/ 30* Reverse Dome Pistons, Smash Level 883 Heads w/ 1.770 Intake/ 1.615 Exhaust & PAC Alloy Beehive Spring Pack, Impact 560 Lift Cams, Hammer Billet Aluminum Intake Manifold, Air Hammer Naked Billet Air Cleaner w/ 3" K&N Element, Mikuni HSR 42, Dynatek 2000P Ignition, Energy One Clutch w/ 15% Diaphram, Muller Power Clutch, Basanni Road Rage 2-1 Exhaust w/ 4" Performance Machine Billet Tip. Drag Specialties 8-Bolt Encapsulated Rotor, Cycle Electric Regulator and Stator.
Old 18th November 2011
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

that's a cheap, easy fix for anybody with a little fab and welding skills and tools.... if you don't have those, most machine shops have all that.....any chance you're located on the south coast of Boston?? I have everything you need.......

Ww

okayyyyyyy.... I just saw the Gulf of Mexico.... that would be a long ride to save a buck
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th November 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=195&B=37

Part #23: HD Part # 59671-98. Around $65

You can look up your own parts using this thread:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1073066

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!