The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
ledbelly (61), sportrod (61), pjcav (47), jgaither (46), naru (42), eberky (38), Paulie420 (35), 83xls
Motor Stage
Bison Motorsports
Energy One Clutches
Sky Smith Insurance

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Fixing push rod tube leaks

Aussie Gazza came up with a good idea to fix leak from the lower O ring on my rear push rod tube. He suggested Opening the rocker box and removing the rocker shaft, rockers and push rods. Then Unbolt the push rod tube bases lift them and slide the whole assembly out to replace the O rings. The only problem I see is replacing the rocker shafts since the lifters have .100 preload. It will be difficult to get them back in while pushing down on the lifters. I would rather not take anything else loose if I don't have too since it is all sealed well. Has anyone else tried this, have any suggestions?
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 21st December 2007
Proud 2000 XLH 1430 Owner

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1430
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Piaggio X9 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
AussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really nice

Hi Tracy

I have had the rockers on and off several times, even with preload.

I have not personally tried this method, and I am worried whether there is enough extra diameter in the upper tube mount to angle the tube to get it clear.

Also depends on how tightly is the tube squashed into the base.

The rockers and mounts actually line up very well.

Put cams on lowest point put rocker in place and look through the hole. Get it lined up.

Get the shaft indentation oriented correctly, oil, and tap gently in.

I need to remove the rear rocker to get the rocker mount off as I cannot get at the smaller bolts otherwise.

I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are missing (but on order from EBay).

Supertrapp 2-1 with 18 plates and closed end cap, 11.5" 412 Progressive with Heavy Duty springs and Progressive fork springs. Mikuni 45carb/SE 44 manifold. NRHS 88" with Stage 2 ported 04 heads with 15 degree squish band, SE .536 cams, crane roller rockers and lifters, NRHS Hurricane Adj Pushrods and Collapsible Covers. Ultima prog ign. 180 main jet, 3 turns, 20 idle jet and 97 needle at 3rd notch. AIM 240 Clutch. LRB Z Plus Brake Pads on dual front brakes. Kuryakyn Boss Blade Levers + Forcewinder XR A/C.

Last edited by AussieGazza; 21st December 2007 at 10:13..
Old 21st December 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH QC99
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
sporty58 has disabled reputation

With an 04+ I don't think you can get the pushrod tubes back in like you could on the pre-04s. (unless you are useing collabsable pushrod tubes.

1998 - 99" homegrown conversion, Stage II NRHS Thunderstorm heads, Redshift .643 cams, Axtell castiron cylinders, S$S 4 5/16 crank, S&S G with thunderjet

** Gone** 2004 R1150R.... Just had to try one and the ride sucked so bad I sold it after one season... pretty bad when it is a worse ride than a solid mount sporty
Old 27th December 2007

misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

I was able to get the push rod tubes out without removing the heads. I did have to remove the rocker box because the rocker shafts are held in by the rocker box bolts. It was a PIA to get the push rod tubes , bases and gaskets back in this way. I found that half of the rear seal had sliped under the tube. After geting it all back together with the old seals the same one still leaks. i will try it one more time with new seals before buying collapsable tubes.
Old 27th December 2007
Proud 2000 XLH 1430 Owner

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1430
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Piaggio X9 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
AussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterT View Post
I was able to get the push rod tubes out without removing the heads. I did have to remove the rocker box because the rocker shafts are held in by the rocker box bolts. It was a PIA to get the push rod tubes , bases and gaskets back in this way. I found that half of the rear seal had sliped under the tube. After geting it all back together with the old seals the same one still leaks. i will try it one more time with new seals before buying collapsable tubes.
It's good to know it can actually be done without taking the heads off!

Lessons Learnt? ALWAYS use new gaskets and seals. I learnt this the hard way too.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th December 2007

Default Leak is finally fixed

I was able to get the push rod tubes out and back in without removing the heads. However the lower O rings kept rolling under the tube on the back side, due to the angle they were at before sliding the base in. So after several trys with it still leaking I gave up and took the head off. I put the long head bolts on the short side to keep the heads in alignment. Had our son hold the head up while I positioned the tubes. With the lower O rings on the tubes coated with RTV silicone and the upper ones in the head. He lowered the head down then reassembled everything. NO LEAKS