The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Superbrace
Biltwell
Licks Cycles
Bison Motorsports

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of
Default Buell Blast trans issues

I haven't opened one up yet to bother fixing one... but every Blast I have ever played with has a jacked up first gear. Either grinds going into it from N or seems like it goes in only to clunk and buck once you start letting the clutch out.... I've never riden one that was normal, except I guess this has become what I see as normal now...

Has anyone opened one to find out what the problem is?

Does anyone own a blast that shifts like a xb or a sportster...?
Old 3rd December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (no C no L)
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883 (wife's)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 07
Other Motorcycle Model: 883
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
wrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura aboutwrong_turn_rider has a spectacular aura about

My Blast "clunks" when you put it in first gear ... I've learned to just stomp on it and deal with it ... They all do it, that IS normal ... no "bucking" from mine ...
Old 4th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

That's how all of them start, later it will start hanging between neutral and 1st then will drop into 1st and clunk as you pull away from a stop... Even though they all do this used,i gotta find a fix before I mod it out more...just wondered if anyone has found a fix

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
Old 4th December 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

There used to be a member on here named Ralphthe3rd. He was big into Flat track and Blasts. He had built more than one fast street blast and had owned at least one of the C&J framed bikes. He would be of some help to you Jason but I have not seen him post in quite some time now.
Old 5th December 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: blast
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
arthuruscg is an unknown quantity at this point

You the factory method for the primary chain is usually to tight, unless you magically where at the tight spot.

Also, the factory couldn't quite get the shifter paw adjustment correct for the Blasts. It is done the same way as the Sportsters.

If you want to make ti shift correct, do the shifter paw adjustment, leave the primary a few bolt flats looser and make sure you did the clutch adjustment correctly.
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
You the factory method for the primary chain is usually to tight, unless you magically where at the tight spot.

Also, the factory couldn't quite get the shifter paw adjustment correct for the Blasts. It is done the same way as the Sportsters.

If you want to make ti shift correct, do the shifter paw adjustment, leave the primary a few bolt flats looser and make sure you did the clutch adjustment correctly.
Was gonna switch to a xb style primary adjuster.... The blast has an adjustment but also has a spring tensioner....i set it with an inlb dial wrench 3 times. The shift pawl operates fine as long as it isn't running, you get a good solid engagement...will try to adjust it to rule that out...

Old 30th December 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: blast
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
arthuruscg is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you improved the Blasts shifting yet?
The factory chain adjustment is to tight. After a long ride, loosen the adjuster bolt until the primary starts making noise and the tighten it until the noise goes away.
Old 30th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
Have you improved the Blasts shifting yet?
The factory chain adjustment is to tight. After a long ride, loosen the adjuster bolt until the primary starts making noise and the tighten it until the noise goes away.
Will give it a shot... Thanks

Old 24th February 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

Ive found that most people turn the Idle speed up too high, and that causes a problem going into 1st at rest. Set the Idle correctly and all is well. Pretty much like an old Ironhead, the clutch tends to grab.