The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Get Lowered
Speedway Instruments
Speedway Instruments
Superbrace

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Twentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the rough
Default torque specs

how important are torque specs? i dont have a torque wrench and i dont know what the specs are on the bolts i wanted to loosen...
i want to take my front fender off just to see how i like the look. im guessing something like that is not as important as the specs on the engine to the frame or something but i just want to double check. im assuming that if i take it off and decide to put it back on that tightening it down with a socket wrench would suffice but let me know....
Old 6th December 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Bicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura about

You wont need a torque wrench for your front fender bolts, just undo them and if you decide to put the fender back on put a dab of locktite on the threads then nip them up as in hand tight and just a little bit more then leave the bike without starting it for a few hours to give the locktite a chance to cure. There are many things that need a torque wrench like axle nuts/engine mounting bolts/brake calipers, but a front fender isnt one of them
Old 6th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 Hammer Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Gcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond repute

Like Bicster said you really don't need it for something such as a fender but you should use blue Locktite on the threads to make sure it stays on the bike. You could always get a couple of cheap Torque Wrenches from Harbor Freight, and if you haven't already done so you should get a factory service manual for your bike.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading . "
--Thomas Jefferson

Hammer Performance 1250 kit w/ 30* Reverse Dome Pistons, Smash Level 883 Heads w/ 1.770 Intake/ 1.615 Exhaust & PAC Alloy Beehive Spring Pack, Impact 560 Lift Cams, Hammer Billet Aluminum Intake Manifold, Air Hammer Naked Billet Air Cleaner w/ 3" K&N Element, Mikuni HSR 42, Dynatek 2000P Ignition, Energy One Clutch w/ 15% Diaphram, Muller Power Clutch, Basanni Road Rage 2-1 Exhaust w/ 4" Performance Machine Billet Tip. Drag Specialties 8-Bolt Encapsulated Rotor, Cycle Electric Regulator and Stator.
Old 6th December 2011
Greasemonkey

Twentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the roughTwentyclowns is a jewel in the rough

thx guys, i ordered a manual, dont have it yet.
thx for the info!
Old 6th December 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Bicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura aboutBicster has a spectacular aura about

Great tips there from Gcram399, a torque wrench will be one of the most valuable assets in anyones toolbox (apart from a hammer). The service manual is a must have too. If it seems daunting on how to use a torque wrench and about all of the different values and settings just ask and ill be more than happy to help, im a truck driver and use a monster torque wrench to torque up my wheel nuts, now thats a backbreaker!
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th December 2011
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
jarhead565 will become famous soon enoughjarhead565 will become famous soon enoughjarhead565 will become famous soon enoughjarhead565 will become famous soon enoughjarhead565 will become famous soon enoughjarhead565 will become famous soon enough

Go to Fleet Farm, Harbor Freight, or some other store and pick yourself up one. I found a $30 torque wrench and it works fine. Just remember, inch pounds and foot pounds are different!!! It may seem like common sense, but that mistake has cost me a lot of money in the past!

I Have The Service Manual!
Old 6th December 2011
Greasemonkey

ill probably pick one up tomorrow. thx for the info guys. i also have to get some locktite
Old 6th December 2011
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

Torque wrenches are very important for tightening things down into the softer aluminum engine and primary casings. Steel bolts and aluminum means the steel will always win and strip out your threads. And critical fasteners are a must for a torque wrench. Nothing worse than riding down the freeway and something like your handlebars decide to come off!

And get BLUE locktite for the bolts you want to remove down the road. Red is a more permanent locktite and takes heating with a torch to break the bonds.
Old 6th December 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
DG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to allDG_Sportster is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyclowns View Post
im guessing something like that is not as important as the specs on the engine to the frame or something but i just want to double check. ....
I would agree with your assesment.

Fender bolts? Not worth getting the old TW out of the drawer.

Things like rocker shafts and axle nuts....it is an automatic to use one.
The water-logged OEM starter/system relay on 2007-2009 Sportsters is a OMRON G8H-UA-007401, but this can be crossed over to some automotive apps: Borg Warner R3154, Gp Sorenson 41-5154, Niehoff RL 35381 are examples. Good luck!
Old 6th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyclowns View Post
ill probably pick one up tomorrow. thx for the info guys. i also have to get some locktite
Make sure you get blue loktite. If you use the red loktite you'll never get 'em off in the future.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Know Thy Hog