The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > DYNO Charts and Result
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

DYNO Charts and Result Post your dyno charts and results here.

Members Birthdays
Progressive Suspension
Dead Creek Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Foxcreek Leather

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2011
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X "48"
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
YOURADHERE has a spectacular aura aboutYOURADHERE has a spectacular aura aboutYOURADHERE has a spectacular aura aboutYOURADHERE has a spectacular aura aboutYOURADHERE has a spectacular aura aboutYOURADHERE has a spectacular aura aboutYOURADHERE has a spectacular aura aboutYOURADHERE has a spectacular aura aboutYOURADHERE has a spectacular aura about
Default Do my dyno numbers seem inflated?

I know that end results don't necessarily matter since it can vary dyno to dyno and it's the % gained that truely counts but do my HP/TQ numbers seem accurate. I haven't really seen any other numbers for specifically for these pipes. Question is what should be next? Go to a 2 into 1 pipe? Cams? Headwork? How much do I stand to gain?

2011 xl1200x

Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2
S&S tear drop intake
Super Tuner

Old 20th December 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
cotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nicecotnballs is just really nice

That seems way high for those pipes (what correction factor did they use?), the wifes V&H short shots come on strong but drops off fast (63hp/74ft with qt baffles and inserts). I ran a Supertrap Supermeg with 20 disc and closed end. Both bikes were 2009s Nightsters tuned with a SERT, on the same dyno with the same operator with the same air cleaner. No other mods. The qt inserts probably robbed the SS of a little power but you can see a clear gain between 2-2 and 2-1 exhaust.

Last edited by cotnballs; 20th December 2011 at 16:43..
Old 20th December 2011
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

See if you can get them to replot it with SAE correction and smoothing=5

Old 20th December 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Evil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of light

Why does the dyno chart use "JIS SMOOTHING" (japan industries standard) instead of SAE? Aaron what is the diffence between the two?
Old 20th December 2011
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

It actually says CF:JIS and then Smoothing:3

The CF is telling you the correction method. There are a bunch of different ones you can choose from in the Winpep software. Depending on the algorithm used (i.e. how it goes about factoring enviromental conditions into the correction), you get a radically different result number.

Most people publish SAE corrected numbers in this country. You can see in Cotnballs charts how they were done with SAE. Using something other than SAE to make the numbers look bigger is a pretty common practice though. You mostly see people use STD to make the numbers look bigger, but sometimes you see some of these foreign correction methods used as well. It always makes me suspicious when I see someone doing this. I know of one shop that has ALL their dyno sheets on their web site done in STD just to make their numbers look bigger, for example. They just assume that most people don't know any better.

Turning down the smoothing is another technique that some people use to make the number look bigger. Basically you're trying to get the max numbers to reflect one of the little spikes.

SAE correction and smoothing 5 are the types of results you see most, like Cotnballs charts.
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th December 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Evil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Aaron for the quick response, I found this link that also explained my question with multiple Dyno runs using a few different correction factors and and smoothing showing how oppperators can manipulate dyno numbers to look bigger than they really are.

http://http://www.bishopsperformance.com/dynoinfo.htm