The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2011
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Xl 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 2014 Street Glide Special
Mozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really nice
Default Switching to Drag Bars

I'm thinking of switching my 2008 883 Custom's stock handlebars for Drag Bars. I'm 6'2 and use forward controls.
Anyone have any advice on how this will affect my riding position, comfort, etc.
Old 28th December 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all

To me, drags and forwards are the most un natural looking setup you could build. Drags belong with mids or rear sets.
Whenever I see someone riding with forwards and drags it reminds me of someone with their wrists taped to their ankles getting F-ed in their A.

The forwards are meant for laid back E-Z boy style riding, drag bars are meant for layed down, aero dynamic racing position. The human body wants to stay in a straight line, not bent at 90+ degrees at the waist.

Harley actually describes the bars on your bike as "drag bars". If you look in a catalog, look at the "drag bars with slight rise", those look exactly like stock 883C bars. If you get bars without rise, what drags normally are, your hands will be 3 or 4 inches lower. Other than that, basically the same as you have now. Since drags don't require longer wires/cables, you can install them in about 15 minutes, no trouble.

Personally, my neck can't take leaning over/looking up to see where I'm going. That's why I ditched my stock bars.
Old 28th December 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

I have had low bars, drag bars, or clip ons on the majority of my bikes, for over 30 years, but have to agree with the Union Prez. Drag bars and forward controls are a bad combination.
Old 28th December 2011
Master Mechanic

Mozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really nice

I can definitely see your point but at a height of 6'2 my forward controls aren't very forward at all. I'm not uncomfortable at all on my bike and love the clean look of the Drags.
Old 28th December 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Evil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of light

I ride drags, with forward controls, mid controls are to uncomfortable, knee's are cramped and it feels like my boots are pinned to my ass. If you have longer legs, mids are impossible to ride for long distances.

Old 28th December 2011
Master Mechanic

My Sportster is a custom with pulled back 6 inch risers. Does that make a difference?
Old 28th December 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Evil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of light

no it doesn't make that big of a difference. Take a look at my buddies 2003 XLC with drags. Just don't go with broom handle bars, you will want a little bit of pull back otherwise your neck is gonna be hurting from leaning to far forward.

Old 28th December 2011
Master Mechanic

Good point and nice bike E.S.
I remember riding my friends Triumph Bonneville with mid mounted controls on several occassions and my knees where up to my chest almost.
Old 28th December 2011
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvader View Post
I can definitely see your point but at a height of 6'2 my forward controls aren't very forward at all. I'm not uncomfortable at all on my bike and love the clean look of the Drags.
I tell folks all the time that the forward controls on a Rubbermount, are more of a "mid-forward."
Old 28th December 2011
Chief Harley Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico 05R View Post
I tell folks all the time that the forward controls on a Rubbermount, are more of a "mid-forward."
+1

Very true, I forgot about that.
Know Thy Hog