The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Zippers Performance
Progressive Suspension
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvader View Post
My Sportster is a custom with pulled back 6 inch risers. Does that make a difference?
Unless things changed, it should be a 4.5" riser on a custom, my '04 is 4.5".
So whatever you install will be about 3" higher and maybe 1.5" pulled back, compared to reguler 1" risers. If you want to get even lower go with small risers and relocate your speedometer.
After watching Sons of Anarchy, I thing drags would look cool, but only if they are on 12" risers.

BTW, if you are a big guy, why do you want your bars lower? If your so big, wouldn't you feal better with ape hangers?
Old 29th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Xl 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 2014 Street Glide Special
Mozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really nice

I believe you are right Mr. Hoffa. They're most likely 4' risers. I'm not gigantic just tall enough where i need to find suitable modifications to improve my comfort and ride. The Bare Bones seat I just installed lowers me as well as moves me forward on the bike. I find it more comfortable than the stock seat. As for ape hangers I know they are very comfortable but I enjoy the bikes sleek lines and want to emphasize that yet maintain a comfortable ride.

Old 29th December 2011
CANUKSTER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant future

I have an '06 1200 C. I put drag bars on it over 3 years ago and I love them with the forward controls.

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. Some days I wish my Forwards were "more forward". Not the best pic, but you'll get the idea of the riding position.

Lenster's 1250 2006 XL1250C, Hammer Crush Heads, 15 Degree Pistons, 10.5:1 CR, S&S Roller Rockers, Fixed Length Pushrods, Jim's Powerglide II Hydraulic Lifters, RedShift 585 Cams, Energy 1 Clutch w/ 15% Stronger Spring, Hammer Performance Billet Intake Manifold, Mikuni HSR 45, Offset Crush AC, RB Racing LSR 2:1 Exhaust and a Daytona Twin Tec TC88A with a Kickass Map by Rico 05R.

Old 29th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Mozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really niceMozvader is just really nice

Awesome Bike Lenster! Thanks
Your riding position seems comfortable.
Old 29th December 2011
Harley Engineer

edgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really nice

I have a 2006 custom just like Lenster, in fact we are the same height and inseam. I have the stock forward controls and stock seat. I installed the universal drag bars from J&P Cycles (http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5000605) about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I think these might be a little wider than Lenster's, just by looking at his pics.

I was looking for more width and less pullback, the stock bars made my elbows bend in a way what got uncomfortable after about 15 minutes. I was also leaned back in a way that my lower back would get a little sore after riding as little as an hour.

Anyway, so far, I love 'em. I thought I'd have to get used to the new position, but it's not a huge difference. I do lean forward a bit more, which at highway speed, is nice, you don't have to fight the wind so much to keep your riding position. No more back pain, and they just look badass compared to the stock bars.
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th December 2011
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to behold

I have 28" drag bars with 3" pull back on the stock '04 custom riser. I'm 5'6".
04/07 76"C NRHS #2 11:1 .590 cams TP rockers TC88A HSR-42 S&Sac LSR 2-1
Old 29th December 2011
CANUKSTER

Lenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant futureLenster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity View Post
I do lean forward a bit more, which at highway speed, is nice, you don't have to fight the wind so much to keep your riding position. No more back pain, and they just look badass compared to the stock bars.
X2. Exactly my experience with drag bars.
Old 29th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Looks like I'm definitely getting Drag bars.
Now I have to choose the right ones for me.
Old 29th December 2011
CANUKSTER

FWIW, I have Flanders Drag Bars. They have an excellent selection HERE.

I have the F4's, part number 650-28445 (27.5" wide, 4" pull back).
Old 30th December 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Seajay, Awesome pic!
Know Thy Hog