The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Durockrolly (56), xlch1973 (52), ehenry (50), 100thHugger (49), evobrian (47), jethrosurfs (42), Chris B. (38), Ebmomma (38)
Hammer Performance
Progressive Suspension
S&S Cycle
Biltwell

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
bmel17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help with head gaskets

I have an 08 nightster and have an oil leak from my heads. Is it worth it to have a shop fix it or is it easy enough to replace on my own? I am handy. I have a service manual somewhere. If I do do it myself, what gaskets should I go with, james, cometic or stock?
Old 31st December 2011
Non-ancraophobic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C
AB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Head gasket..my preference would be cometic and yes very easy to do.

Everything stock on your scoot? If so .040 for gaskets.
Old 1st January 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of light

If it's rocker cover or rocker box gaskets, use HD gaskets.
04 76"C NRHS #2 CP 10.5:1 .575 cams TP rockers TC88A HSR-42 S&Sac LSR 2-1 Can you say--- screamer?
Old 1st January 2012
Land Speed Record

Location: mostley at home sometimes in the garage next to my sporty..
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883..
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XJ 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
chief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of lightchief is a glorious beacon of light

if you should do it yourself mostly depends on how comfortable you are in doing serious work on your sporty and where they do leak.
ig the rockerbox is leaking i'd say go for it or let your 6 year old kid do it.. there's nothing to it!
if it is the head gasket it gets a little more complicated. yes you can do it, but you need the correct tools like a torque wrench and such.

and never forget to give the headbolds a 1/4 tighter turn once they are at torque. i always torque the heads go out for a smoke and a coffee and then give the bolts the 1/4 extra turn. the coffe break give me the feeling the gaskets and cylinders can settle a little before the last stage of torquing

and for gaskets i like james..
CTFS
Old 1st January 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
bmel17 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys! I'll be all right doing it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything crazy and if I had a shop do it, would I be wasting money.

I have all the tools too so it looks like I'll be good to go!
Know Thy Hog

Old 1st January 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

remember: loosen headbolts and rocker box bolts 1/4 turn at a time, until loose, working your way around. i usually pull both heads at once.

when putting rocker boxes back on, do one cylinder at a time, making sure that engine is rotated so valve pressure is relieved. after you button up the first box, wait for and ensure bleed down of the lifters before rotating the engine to do the next one. and after you button up the second rocker box WAIT AGAIN and ensure lifter bleed down before going any farther.

bleed down can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes depending. you ensure bleed down when you can spin the pushrods by hand at the rocker arm. they will always have some pressure but if you can spin them (it will not be easy) it is safe to proceed without bending a valve or worse.

i don't use loctite of any kind anywhere in the top end. nowhere.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 1st January 2012
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpusher View Post
i don't use loctite of any kind anywhere in the top end. nowhere.
There's one place it's factory applied ... the rocker box top bolts.

Old 1st January 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
There's one place it's factory applied ... the rocker box top bolts.
the 2 layers of rubber gaskets seem to do just fine at keeping them from backing out. IMO. but it is a fine line between just tight enough and too tight. one way you end up with spurting oil leak at exactly the wrong time an the other you have your rubber squeezed out.

some blue would make sense on these as long as the bolts are in good shape and haven't been torqued down too many times.

if you look at the bolt between the head and the threads and it appears slightly thinner in spots, that is where it has stretch and twisted due to torque.

this is where it is going to snap on you. replace them before you think about loctiting them or you will first be pissed and then sorry.